Marty

IRT reels

60 posts in this topic

When I sent a message to IRT rep, here is his response.

He said they called you twice and left voicemail. 

Yes, I just got off the phone with Ross. I was driving and my new phone knows I’m driving and will not ring or Tex. Spoke to Ross. I may get the 300. I also like the bigger reel 500 for tuna fishing.  I’m going to sleep on this.

4 mins ago, ksong said:

I got a message from Ross of IRT reels that you talked with him. 

Ross told me. Thank you Ksong for looking out.  

The 500 is still small reel like Stella 5000. It is good for striper or drum, but not tuna.

I am going to test the 500 for small tuna under 100 lb on my upcoming trip to Panama though.

Posted (edited)

3 mins ago, ksong said:

The 500 is still small reel like Stella 5000. It is good for striper or drum, but not tuna.

I am going to test the 500 for small tuna under 100 lb on my upcoming trip to Panama though.

I’m in the shark tournament down in Delaware and wanted the 500but after talking to Ross I’m may get the 600. I also wanted the reel for bass off my boat and think the 600 may be to big. It’s hard to pick one when you cannot  hold one in store. 

Edited by Marty

I don't know much about the IRT reels so can someone school me?? I searched and they run about $600, are they sealed and can they take a beating in the surf & sand. Enquiring minds wan't to know.......

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, prican1 said:

I don't know much about the IRT reels so can someone school me?? I searched and they run about $600, are they sealed and can they take a beating in the surf & sand. Enquiring minds wan't to know.......

The 300 is $500. They have great drags for big fish. I’m using for boat reel only. The 300 is 25 lb of drag and the large reels go past 40 lb of drag. Lifetime warranty. If I bend a shaft or want a bigger or smaller reel, they will give one to you. For a guy like me that beats them up, I think it’s a great deal. I told Ross at IRT. I’m using the reel next week for shark fishing. I like catching 150 lb fish on spinning reel. I never like a international 50 conversation reel that your sitting down with a belt.  That’s not fishing !!!

Edited by Marty

If you like to use the reel for shark, I recommend IRT 600 duel drag reel. For eeling bass, IRT 300 - 500 reels are recommended 

Posted (edited)

I know I should use IRT 600 for shark fishing but I do a lot more bass fishing off my boat. I go out every night for bass. I really need both reel. I have to pick just one for now.  I think I’m going with the 300. I bent the shaft on a VR 200 the first big fish. VS send me a new one in 3 days. Then I use my VS 200. The drag burn out on the same day. What did I do, got the penn torque 5500. Most of these fish are big maybe I should use a conventional reel. Next week I will be down in Delaware and will fish the penn torque also and see witch reel holds up. Catching tuna with a spinning reel, they give you a good fight but catching a 140 lb shark brings it to the next level. Mako sharks,  they are smart. They will run then turn around and run right to the boat then run down so hard that you arm can break and it’s at that point I bent the shaft on the reel and burnt the drag out. Right now all I have is my penn torque. Hope it holds up. Ksong this tuna was caught on a VS 200. Had no problem. sharks are a different. Lot more power. Fast and hard. 

image.jpg

12DE695F-E178-4D72-9B82-E63B31862127.jpeg

Edited by Marty

8 hours ago, prican1 said:

I also would like to know if they are sealed...

2 hours ago, LexTheDrifter said:

I also would like to know if they are sealed...

No, not for swimming sealed.  I’m looking at these reel for boat fishing. Unless you spend a $1000 on a Shimano there are no strong, smooth reels with a drag system out there. For $500 bucks it not bad. You know there is life after surf fishing the beach. They say boat fishing don’t count but when You hit 60 you will change your mind about that. Lol. I still do both. I love offshore fishing with a spinning rod. 

Why are you not considering Saragosa’s in the 8000-1000 or twinpower 14000. Twin power has over 50lb of drag and more line capacity. I’m all for light tackle fishing but sharking isn’t really a light tackle fishery