drumfish213

Slammer 3 3500 click issue

26 posts in this topic

I have a new Slammer 3 3500 that makes a strange click when I use a very slow retrieve (crawling a red fin across the top for example). I had my friend check it out (he has the same reel but the 4500) and he noticed the click as well and said his reel does not do that. The click isn't audible, but I can feel it (maybe click isn't the best word but I am not sure how to describe it). It happens slightly more when the spool is coming down and does not seem to occur contingently with where the handle is in the retrieve. Is this a normal issue or something I should be concerned about?  Is it fixable? It is annoying and distracting!

I had a similar problem on a 5500 model.  Bail slammed shut while casting a heavy tin which broke off.  Reeling after that I had an audible click like a bicycle freewheeling, I presume the immediate startup on the drag from the airborne plug when the bail closed put too much strain on the reel.  There's a little spring in the drag assembly, #12 on the attached which popped out and was rubbing on something when the rotor turned.  

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/content/purefishing/SLAMMER III 5500 1403984

1 hour ago, FlukUlele said:

I had a similar problem on a 5500 model.  Bail slammed shut while casting a heavy tin which broke off.  Reeling after that I had an audible click like a bicycle freewheeling, I presume the immediate startup on the drag from the airborne plug when the bail closed put too much strain on the reel.  There's a little spring in the drag assembly, #12 on the attached which popped out and was rubbing on something when the rotor turned.  

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/content/purefishing/SLAMMER III 5500 1403984

Thanks. I don't have an audible click and it is only when I am reeling very slowly so I am not sure that is the same issue but definitely worth taking a look. 

1 hour ago, drumfish213 said:

Thanks. I don't have an audible click and it is only when I am reeling very slowly so I am not sure that is the same issue but definitely worth taking a look. 

Sorry. I didn’t read your post well enough. I have 3500 as well and no problems.  Does the click feel like it’s coming from the body or the rotor?  Does it always happen when the spool or rotor is in the same spot in its oscillation?

18 hours ago, FlukUlele said:

Sorry. I didn’t read your post well enough. I have 3500 as well and no problems.  Does the click feel like it’s coming from the body or the rotor?  Does it always happen when the spool or rotor is in the same spot in its oscillation?

No worries. It seems like it is coming from the rotor. It happens more when spool is on the way down but not consistently. 

I checked mine out tonight and it doesn’t do that either.  Out of curiosity does it make the click when you reel without the rod rigged up?  I wonder if it could be the line roller or something that only makes noise when there’s tension on the line.

14 hours ago, FlukUlele said:

I checked mine out tonight and it doesn’t do that either.  Out of curiosity does it make the click when you reel without the rod rigged up?  I wonder if it could be the line roller or something that only makes noise when there’s tension on the line.

Great question! I haven’t tried it not rigged up but I will and report back. 

On 4/24/2018 at 9:09 PM, FlukUlele said:

Just tested the theory but just in my garage (so with limited space). When reeling with some tension (holding the line in my fingers) I noticed the issue. When reeling without any tension (just the line through the guides) I did not notice it. I also noticed an audible click when reeling in either situation. Anyone with a thought based on this new info?

Sounds like it's the crosswind block (osc. slider) changing direction which is normal, adding a little extra grease on the slot of the block will help quiet the noise/feeling but it will not go away completely.

tony

2 hours ago, PENN Fishing said:

Sounds like it's the crosswind block (osc. slider) changing direction which is normal, adding a little extra grease on the slot of the block will help quiet the noise/feeling but it will not go away completely.

tony

Thanks. Is there a diagram and part number to guide me as to where to grease? Any idea why mine has that issue but my friends does not?

The majority of our spinning reels have a faint click/tick when the spool reaches the highest and lowest position.  Your friends reel probably has it too, it may just be slightly more faint.  Part # 43, remove it from the reel and add more grease underneath in the slot.

tony

28 mins ago, PENN Fishing said:

The majority of our spinning reels have a faint click/tick when the spool reaches the highest and lowest position.  Your friends reel probably has it too, it may just be slightly more faint.  Part # 43, remove it from the reel and add more grease underneath in the slot.

tony

Thanks Tony. I will try to add the grease and see what happens. 

I also have a similar issue with my 4500. I've only fished the reel once, and I noticed it right away out of the box. It seems to make a clicking/bumping (only feeling, not audible) when reeling with a bit of tension, but is not consistent with top and bottom travel of the spool; it seems to occur at the same rotation of the spool.

11 hours ago, LuckyStriker86 said:

I also have a similar issue with my 4500. I've only fished the reel once, and I noticed it right away out of the box. It seems to make a clicking/bumping (only feeling, not audible) when reeling with a bit of tension, but is not consistent with top and bottom travel of the spool; it seems to occur at the same rotation of the spool.

That describes my issue as well. I tried adding more grease but that does not seem to help. The fact that it only happens when there is some tension is the part that I can't figure out.

13 hours ago, drumfish213 said:

The fact that it only happens when there is some tension is the part that I can't figure out.

Line roller comes into play with tension.  My 4500 "ticks under tension" something you feel but don't hear.  Not related to the position of the spool.  The gears were replaced under warranty, no difference.  Back in the local shop to possibly swap out the OEM line roller bushing for bearings, although I can't tell from the schematic whether the 4500 has a bushing or a bearing.  :(  Stay tuned