Needle in a haystack (New PB) Unicorn

TJones

Hey All, just had to share this one with you... As some of you know, these large trout have really gotten under my skin the past few years... This past week, after much effort, I finally found the one that I have been searching for!

Needless to say, this fish really got the blood flowing and my heart pumping. In fact, once it was all done and the fish was released, I had to sit down and take a breath... My legs were shaking and I couldn't stand up for a minute or so, lol. I thought I had gotten a good release video of the fish swimming off, but unfortunately my phone wasn't recording. Still, I got some decent pics at least, to document the catch. I believe this fish was surely a minnow eater, as it was so silver in color... I believe the fish was probably a male, but I have nicknamed him/her "Queen Daenerys" because of the silver. (shes a little dirty in the pics, but I'm sure you can still see the silver)

It is a PA freestone river brown, probably of the migratory variety--caught in marginal water that doesn't hold trout year round. 

The fish measured 29.5" in a straight line... If going on a curve, you could squeeze 30+ a little if you wanted. I had actually caught a slightly longer 30" fish a couple years ago... but it was much thinner than this one. I didn't weight this fish, but feel a good conservative guess is in the 10 to 11 pound range. She/he is still out there swimming... Hopefully will see her again when she is 32"+ :-) !!!

I hope this doesn't sound like too much boasting, but I just had to share this one with you guys here and I'm really psyched about this fish haha! 

5ad9fe7ecd976_truegiant.thumb.jpg.3a9ff60605b9a94a6fea716f28365dd0.jpgIMG_6540.thumb.PNG.d9711009e93ce920200615e9d682f33a.PNGIMG_6539.PNG.df8f87e2791f9f371b1f08702805dbbd.PNG

Thank you PHB! 

I was using slightly heavier tackle... 7’ medium fenwick hmg... Shimano 3000 reel w/ 15lb j braid and 10 lb flouro leader. I like using a bit heavier tackle since I know large fish are possible and don’t want to be under gunned... as I have had my butt handed to me before by large fish.

This was still an epic battle, in pretty heavy current...and that big wild fish knew exactly how to try and beat me. Fortunately things just happened to work out on my end this time around, haha.

2 hours ago, TJones said:

Hey All, just had to share this one with you... As some of you know, these large trout have really gotten under my skin the past few years... This past week, after much effort, I finally found the one that I have been searching for!

Needless to say, this fish really got the blood flowing and my heart pumping. In fact, once it was all done and the fish was released, I had to sit down and take a breath... My legs were shaking and I couldn't stand up for a minute or so, lol. I thought I had gotten a good release video of the fish swimming off, but unfortunately my phone wasn't recording. Still, I got some decent pics at least, to document the catch. I believe this fish was surely a minnow eater, as it was so silver in color... I believe the fish was probably a male, but I have nicknamed him/her "Queen Daenerys" because of the silver. (shes a little dirty in the pics, but I'm sure you can still see the silver)

It is a PA freestone river brown, probably of the migratory variety--caught in marginal water that doesn't hold trout year round. 

The fish measured 29.5" in a straight line... If going on a curve, you could squeeze 30+ a little if you wanted. I had actually caught a slightly longer 30" fish a couple years ago... but it was much thinner than this one. I didn't weight this fish, but feel a good conservative guess is in the 10 to 11 pound range. She/he is still out there swimming... Hopefully will see her again when she is 32"+ :-) !!!

I hope this doesn't sound like too much boasting, but I just had to share this one with you guys here and I'm really psyched about this fish haha! 

5ad9fe7ecd976_truegiant.thumb.jpg.3a9ff60605b9a94a6fea716f28365dd0.jpgIMG_6540.thumb.PNG.d9711009e93ce920200615e9d682f33a.PNGIMG_6539.PNG.df8f87e2791f9f371b1f08702805dbbd.PNG

Whoa! Congrats!

Just imagine how happy you would be if you lost everything you have in life and then suddenly got it back
SOL Member #101

Great Fish!! Congrats!!

"The club tournaments are NOT the problem, in fact the clubs are part of the solution, helping to organize us recreational fishermen.
It's the - kill every one I catch, the lookymee tackle shop video guys, and especially the charter boats, that are the real problem on the rec side." Sudsy
"I object to fishing tournaments less for what they do to fish than to fisherman. They have invaded one of the last refuges of civilized man, transmuted a noble art into something it isn't and shouldn't be... To speak nothing of the repulsive butchery and waste." - Ted Williams