CcCstriper89

2018 Hunting

Rate this topic

161 posts in this topic

On August 15, 2018 at 9:04 AM, backseatpilot said:

Does anyone go after birds (upland or ducks)?  This will be my first season hunting and I was hoping to find a mentor or guide to show me the ropes.

Nothing like starting multiple equipment-intensive hobbies in one year...

I've gone ruffed grouse (partridge) hunting a week every year dog less in northern Maine for about 25 years in the same area, it's awesome, so much fun and you don't have to sit for hours freezing or wake up at o dark thirty, you get to walk for miles wo another Hunter in sight imho in the best and most remote upland territory in the lower 48 at the best time of year, and don't let anyone fool you that you need a dog, dogless you are the Hunter rather than just the shooter, go to the north Maine woods until you can only get French radio and give it a go 

9 hours ago, Two Rock said:

I've gone ruffed grouse (partridge) hunting a week every year dog less in northern Maine for about 25 years in the same area, it's awesome, so much fun and you don't have to sit for hours freezing or wake up at o dark thirty, you get to walk for miles wo another Hunter in sight imho in the best and most remote upland territory in the lower 48 at the best time of year, and don't let anyone fool you that you need a dog, dogless you are the Hunter rather than just the shooter, go to the north Maine woods until you can only get French radio and give it a go 

You had me until “French radio”

15 hours ago, Two Rock said:

Are those ruffed grouse or spruce grouse?   I know friends of mine who used to go to maine a few weeks a year, but I thought they were after spruce grouse.

You can't shoot spruce grouse up there and they are sort of rare, but we usually see a few each trip, they don't taste that good anyway from what I hear, there are also a bunch of woodcock too but we don't target them and they tend to inhabit different habitats than the best grouse habitats 

24 mins ago, Two Rock said:

You can't shoot spruce grouse up there and they are sort of rare, but we usually see a few each trip, they don't taste that good anyway from what I hear, there are also a bunch of woodcock too but we don't target them and they tend to inhabit different habitats than the best grouse habitats 

It's amazing how down the grouse population is here in Northern MA / Southern VT. Never hear them drumming anymore while turkey hunting and I think I've seen ONE in the last 5 years while deer hunting. Not too many years ago you could count on one flushing and scaring the **** outta you while walking to your stand in the dark.  :laugh:

Don't know what/who to blame. 

5 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

It's amazing how down the grouse population is here in Northern MA / Southern VT. Never hear them drumming anymore while turkey hunting and I think I've seen ONE in the last 5 years while deer hunting. Not too many years ago you could count on one flushing and scaring the **** outta you while walking to your stand in the dark.  :laugh:

Don't know what/who to blame. 

Same here in SEMASS.   

I'm told the coyotes and owls are to blame.     

The woods we used to grouse hunt are all still there for the most part, but the grouse just aren't there so it's not the housing growth.  And they're not really a farm field oriented bird so it's not loss of farms either.   And it sure as heck wasn't us, cuz without a dog we shot maybe two or three a year, tops.

I hear you on the se mass loss of grouse, they seem to be near extinct compared to the 80s and early 90s, and while we have had much more than our share of development the decline of the local grouse happened at the same time the hawk, coyote, and turkey population exploded.  The decline is happening through most of the birds range not just here, and in areas where the habitat has been improved to hold grouse.  Avian bird flue has been suspected in areas where nothing has changed much other than habitat improvement but the population has not rebounded (Pennsylvania comes to mind).  Its sad, thankfully I haven't noticed any real population decline in northern Maine in the years I've been going up there, but the habitat up there the best of the best, as a result of the extensive timber operations. 

7 hours ago, Two Rock said:

I hear you on the se mass loss of grouse, they seem to be near extinct compared to the 80s and early 90s, and while we have had much more than our share of development the decline of the local grouse happened at the same time the hawk, coyote, and turkey population exploded.  The decline is happening through most of the birds range not just here, and in areas where the habitat has been improved to hold grouse.  Avian bird flue has been suspected in areas where nothing has changed much other than habitat improvement but the population has not rebounded (Pennsylvania comes to mind).  Its sad, thankfully I haven't noticed any real population decline in northern Maine in the years I've been going up there, but the habitat up there the best of the best, as a result of the extensive timber operations. 

Interesting. I grew up in NEPA near a large SGL and lots of private land to hunt thanks to family. The grouse were plentiful, loved em from the middle of October until the Monday after Thanksgiving. Then they became deer alarms lol.  I hadn't heard that avian flu angle before, but not suprising since I've only been back to hunt a few times since moving to MA in 1989,  haven't really stayed up on hunting/game issues and haven't yet read through the stack of PGN I have accumulated over the years (thanks to gift subscriptions from dad.)

I loved deer hunting, but I have to say some of the most fun I've had in the field were small game days with my BIL.

He's always had a dog, and we would work the stocked pheasant areas before taking a break and heading into the grouse cover. Rare was a chance to even get a shot off at the bastards. They have an insane ability to flush on the other side of the pine you are approaching, or when you are fighting your way through brambles with your gun in an impossible place with regards to your ability to shoulder it.  Every one we shot was a trophy. I miss those thunder chickens.

Edited by wishiniwuzfishin
punctuation

They are worthy game for sure, tho way up in Maine they are less educated and give you far better opportunities to bag your limit.  PA is very hunter friendly has done a ton of habitat work and the game commission has been very proactive in trying to increase the population, there is a proud upland hunting heritage there they are attempting to save.  I wish I could say the same for New England, esp mass, the grouse is on the logo of the mdfw and I think they could give a crap that the ruffed grouse might go the way of the Heath hen.  

Agree about PGC. Proud of the way my home state spends license fees. Seems like it all goes to buying land and improving habitat.  That's why I never comment on MA hunting threads. I feel your pain, I am just fortunate that although I don't hunt much anymore, if I want to scratch that itch it's only a five hour drive to do it in a place that you don't feel like an anomaly for wearing orange or wanting to kill what you eat lol...

My least favorite development (at least in my old stomping grounds) is that they shut the gates at the entrance to the Game Lands during the summer. It's close enough for a nightly drive through, which we used to do until they closed it. They originally installed the gate because the road was impassable after the '06 flood, but then they started keeping it closed due to all the riff raff partying and trashing the place..

You can still park and go for a walk of course, but deer flies lol

8 hours ago, wishiniwuzfishin said:

Agree about PGC. Proud of the way my home state spends license fees. Seems like it all goes to buying land and improving habitat.  That's why I never comment on MA hunting threads. I feel your pain, I am just fortunate that although I don't hunt much anymore, if I want to scratch that itch it's only a five hour drive to do it in a place that you don't feel like an anomaly for wearing orange or wanting to kill what you eat lol...

My least favorite development (at least in my old stomping grounds) is that they shut the gates at the entrance to the Game Lands during the summer. It's close enough for a nightly drive through, which we used to do until they closed it. They originally installed the gate because the road was impassable after the '06 flood, but then they started keeping it closed due to all the riff raff partying and trashing the place..

You can still park and go for a walk of course, but deer flies lol

I find myself in PA more than MA due to work. It is remarkable what the PA has done and how much hunting land they have acquired. 

Be honest, just how busy is the public land for deer season? 

3 hours ago, ged said:

I find myself in PA more than MA due to work. It is remarkable what the PA has done and how much hunting land they have acquired. 

Be honest, just how busy is the public land for deer season? 

Depends where ya go and what season it is.  State forest I hunt I maybe run into 3-5 guys in the parking lot during archery.  That turns into 15-20 for shotgun, then goes back to 5 or so ppl for muzzy season.  But then, the state forest about 1/4 mile across the street gets about 100 guys for shotgun so there ya go...

B4DDF377-79C0-49F5-8D92-BDA22CDD19E4.jpeg.88d20403ab131b4928d0487cd27fcfce.jpegStumbled upon these Chickens while scouting new woods yesterday. Dropped a pin on the stump for next year and filled up my shirt after slicing them off with my truck keys; making sure to leave some of the bases on the oak. 

Edited by CcCstriper89