CcCstriper89

2018 Hunting

Rate this topic

162 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, CcCstriper89 said:

You'd better get it the day the 10 surplus comes out if your counting on it; sept 26. or you most likely wont get one. I don't foresee there being any leftovers a day or two later this year. With zones 1-9 being closed and 10 and up opening 2 weeks earlier you can almost bet that more will sell in a shorter amount of time. 

I forgot to put in for a doe tag this year. For the surplus does it start at midnight on the 26th or does it just go by day. Thanks 

13 hours ago, ged said:

OTC tags have sold out for Z10 & Z11. I wouldn’t sleep on surplus tags. Guys from all over the state but these tags, makes you wonder?

OTC = Over The Counter  or Over The Computer ??

14 hours ago, jmarino1432 said:

I forgot to put in for a doe tag this year. For the surplus does it start at midnight on the 26th or does it just go by day. Thanks 

No they go on sale at 8am. Zone 11 is the 25th and zone 10 the 26th. 

I miss the days when zone 11 was just a little piece of Western Bristol county.  Plenty of doe tags and nobody from out of town.

Then they went and mated it up with Middleboro, etc...   

I am going to spend the early season I think on RI and CT state land instead of the early MA season. I have a quicker drive to both states from my house then most of zone 10 and 11. The license fees just add up quick on top of my non res NH and resident MA licenses. 

2 hours ago, CcCstriper89 said:

I am going to spend the early season I think on RI and CT state land instead of the early MA season. I have a quicker drive to both states from my house then most of zone 10 and 11. The license fees just add up quick on top of my non res NH and resident MA licenses. 

I hunt RI, a lot and early season there has kicked my a$$. In 8 years I think my first buck was Columbus Day 4-5 years ago. I think I arrowed my PB buck 10/14/16

Edited by ged

On 8/7/2018 at 4:23 PM, ged said:

I hunt RI, a lot and early season there has kicked my a$$. In 8 years I think my first buck was Columbus Day 4-5 years ago. I think I arrowed my PB buck 10/14/16

State or Private? I know guys that kill it early season in RI on private land; and basically all season. State is another ball game. I have hunted it a little bit during late season. There is no lack of deer but finding them in the pressured big woods is definitely tough.

18 hours ago, CcCstriper89 said:

State or Private? I know guys that kill it early season in RI on private land; and basically all season. State is another ball game. I have hunted it a little bit during late season. There is no lack of deer but finding them in the pressured big woods is definitely tough.

I have spent the last 8 seasons in Big Woods. 1,000 +\- acres. Private. 

Honestly, these little suburban spots I hunt in MA are 100x easier than the where I hunt in RI. 

Does anyone go after birds (upland or ducks)?  This will be my first season hunting and I was hoping to find a mentor or guide to show me the ropes.

Nothing like starting multiple equipment-intensive hobbies in one year...

6 hours ago, ged said:

I have spent the last 8 seasons in Big Woods. 1,000 +\- acres. Private. 

Honestly, these little suburban spots I hunt in MA are 100x easier than the where I hunt in RI. 

I agree. Suburban deer hunting is a lot different than hunting big woods whitetail. That is a lot of private acreage to have access to that is awesome.  The guys I know in RI hunt smaller chunks for sure;10-40 acres mostly. 

On 8/15/2018 at 9:04 AM, backseatpilot said:

Does anyone go after birds (upland or ducks)?  This will be my first season hunting and I was hoping to find a mentor or guide to show me the ropes.

Nothing like starting multiple equipment-intensive hobbies in one year...

I hunt pheasant at the local WMA. Very nice change of pace for a bow hunter. My lab loves the fields but has no hunting skill. 

No pressure and they stock enough birds that an amature and his dog shoot a few a year.