CcCstriper89

2018 Hunting

Rate this topic

161 posts in this topic

I need to research this more. Until now, it was thought that the protein prions that are excreted by affected animals are the cause of transmission. Now I am hearing this is not the cause, but a symptom of the problem. 

Scrapie (sheep) , “Mad-cow” and Kuru (humans) are similar conditions in different animals (and humans).   

Just for someplace to put this......

Wife is driving home at sunset about a mile from the house and a doe crossed the road in front of her.

Being bird dogged by what she called a very nice buck, still sporting full head gear....... :shock:

19 mins ago, Plug and teaser said:

Wife is driving home at sunset about a mile from the house and a doe crossed the road in front of her.

Being bird dogged by what she called a very nice buck, still sporting full head gear....... :shock:

Could be a yearly that came into heat. Crazy that a 6-7 month old doe can breed. 

7 mins ago, ged said:

Could be a yearly that came into heat. Crazy that a 6-7 month old doe can breed. 

Could be, the buck still sporting head gear is what surprises me.

Got some gamecam pics of a nice buck in late January.....but this seem late.

9 hours ago, Plug and teaser said:

Could be, the buck still sporting head gear is what surprises me.

Got some gamecam pics of a nice buck in late January.....but this seem late.

I didn’t know that the bucks still chased does this late but I have seen them with full head gear even later than February. 

We often have better luck shed hunting from March into April. 

I have seen bucks into late March holding head gear. I always begin shed hunting early though because plenty fall off starting end of December. The longer you wait the more of a chance you have that somebody else stumbles upon them as well. I haven't been out as much as I'd like yet. Found my first shed of the year last week; but it was from last season. 

F9B51D97-895F-44CE-A43A-4E41BE22D8DC.jpeg

Edited by CcCstriper89

16 hours ago, Plug and teaser said:

secondary rut reportedly happens sometime jan - feb.

Of all the shed antlers I've found, most were dropped in february.  I would find them by following tracks in fresh or day old snow.

With this really mild winter we've had, I'm willing to bet a july born fawn which normally might have died may be strong enough to have gone into season?

Nice job with those sheds.  My buddy is in double digits and has found some nice ones. Found his first set in December, during ML. Fresh drop. 

3 hours ago, ged said:

Nice job with those sheds.  My buddy is in double digits and has found some nice ones. Found his first set in December, during ML. Fresh drop. 

Found a nice set in ML one year, both together where he had bed down.

I was surprised when we got this guy on the  game cam a few years ago after this doe.

But the end of Feb. is a new on for me, never saw it before. :th:

0114deer2-XL.jpg.423111a78019bb99a6f34ff86b2a287e.jpg0114deera-XL.jpg.8e52a5db1a98bfcb7cf6cc22aca89bed.jpg