CcCstriper89

2018 Hunting

Rate this topic

151 posts in this topic

I noticed much fewer than usual on the deer and myself this year. The spring started off bad but even throughout the summer and fall; scouting and shed hunting; I was pulling way less ticks off myself than last year.

Opening day of SG I hunted Z11 public land. When I arrived there were 5 other trucks at the property. I walked past 2 hunters on my way in and settled into my friends stand (with his permission). Another hunter sat on the ground at 50 yards just after sunrise. 

I hate sitting in one spot thinking the deer are sitting in another spot. I sat without hearing a shot until 9am. I decided to get down and walk into the wind. 

Less than 100 yards into my walk I saw a monster public land buck. I quickly shouldered the gun and squeezed the trigger. At the sound of the shot the buck kicked and ran off into thick cover. 

I preceeded to my truck to shed some layers, eat a snack and call my friend. I was surprised to see my truck was the only vehicle in the lot. I made a call, ata and made my way back to where I last saw the deer. 

Adrenalin was high, and even finding the initial spot was tough. As I looked where I thought the buck ran I found blood. I followed the trail very slowly for a few hundred yards. If you were out you probably remember it started to rain. 

I spent the day on and off the blood track, fortunately staying on public land. At the the end of the day, I jumped the buck that had been needed close in thick brush. I tried to settle my gun as it ran back towards where I initially shot it. 

I had a 5am flight Tuesday and wouldn’t be home for a few weeks. My buddy went and combed the woods still hunting, but really looking for my buck. His efforts were fruitless. 

This week he brought his dog shed hunting and found my buck, less than 100 yards from where I shot him. The tall light colored old buck I shot 9 weeks earlier. 

I am extremely grateful to say the least. 

883C9FCA-3A91-4074-85F6-D4FD08AFDAED.jpeg

1 hour ago, ged said:

Opening day of SG I hunted Z11 public land. When I arrived there were 5 other trucks at the property. I walked past 2 hunters on my way in and settled into my friends stand (with his permission). Another hunter sat on the ground at 50 yards just after sunrise. 

I hate sitting in one spot thinking the deer are sitting in another spot. I sat without hearing a shot until 9am. I decided to get down and walk into the wind. 

Less than 100 yards into my walk I saw a monster public land buck. I quickly shouldered the gun and squeezed the trigger. At the sound of the shot the buck kicked and ran off into thick cover. 

I preceeded to my truck to shed some layers, eat a snack and call my friend. I was surprised to see my truck was the only vehicle in the lot. I made a call, ata and made my way back to where I last saw the deer. 

Adrenalin was high, and even finding the initial spot was tough. As I looked where I thought the buck ran I found blood. I followed the trail very slowly for a few hundred yards. If you were out you probably remember it started to rain. 

I spent the day on and off the blood track, fortunately staying on public land. At the the end of the day, I jumped the buck that had been needed close in thick brush. I tried to settle my gun as it ran back towards where I initially shot it. 

I had a 5am flight Tuesday and wouldn’t be home for a few weeks. My buddy went and combed the woods still hunting, but really looking for my buck. His efforts were fruitless. 

This week he brought his dog shed hunting and found my buck, less than 100 yards from where I shot him. The tall light colored old buck I shot 9 weeks earlier. 

I am extremely grateful to say the least. 

great story great rack! 

Read in the paper yesterday that the deer harvest in 2018 was the largest ever for this state, somewhere around 15,000 animals...……….

When I started deer hunting back in '67 I think the total kill was less than 2,000...……...

Posted (edited) · Report post

17 mins ago, b-ware said:

Read in the paper yesterday that the deer harvest in 2018 was the largest ever for this state, somewhere around 15,000 animals...……….

When I started deer hunting back in '67 I think the total kill was less than 2,000...……...

Bernie,

You're right. I think I began deer hunting the same year. Frank Woolner wrote the outdoor column in the Worc paper. For some reason I remember it was 1200. Of which, about only 15 were taken by archers. Just seeing a deer back then was noteworthy.

Edited by bob_G

Posted (edited) · Report post

I started hunting in 1961.  Back then there was no bucks only law and the season was only 6 days.

Edited by Fibber
added 6 day season

5 hours ago, b-ware said:

yep 14,500+/- deer...some of the increase includes 300 deer taken from Wachusett Res land which was opened last season...700 more deer taken during the extended bow season...

13 mins ago, troutworm said:

Has anybody heard how many deer were harvested in the Blue Hills hunt

for 2018,Can't find those totals even on DFW website ?

I have looked here as well. Can’t find them 

On 2/6/2019 at 7:00 PM, ged said:

Nice rack, at least you know what happened to him.

Still remember the ones I didn't find more than the ones I did.

Sir....the tool box needs attention.

1 hour ago, Plug and teaser said:

Nice rack, at least you know what happened to him.

Still remember the ones I didn't find more than the ones I did.

Sir....the tool box needs attention.

That is my friends garage. Poor bastard has a lift in there so he is everyone’s best friend when their car breaks down. He is my best friend because he gave me my rack :)

I plan to return tomorrow and investigate the bones (or what is left of them) in detail. I am curious if I shot the deer in the shoulder. Closure is very important for me.

4 mins ago, ged said:

That is my friends garage. Poor bastard has a lift in there so he is everyone’s best friend when their car breaks down. He is my best friend because he gave me my rack :)

I plan to return tomorrow and investigate the bones (or what is left of them) in detail. I am curious if I shot the deer in the shoulder. Closure is very important for me.

Impressive rack, good luck with your investigation