Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scubachris

10' Rockaway Surf Rod by Okuma!

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

I like to do light shoreline whipping "spincasting" using tough bubbles with water, Hammer Bombs, or lead eggs. I'm looking at the new Okuma salt water light rods. Specifically the 10ft 2pc Med  10-20lb 3/4-3oz at 258g. They're inexpensive and the stats fall within my preferred range of length vs casting weights used. At night i use 3/4oz lead eggs with luminescent soft plastic grubs. Daytime it's mostly the same using 1-11/2oz tough bubbles w/water to Hammer Bombs with soft grubs to spoons like Kastmasters & Krocodiles. Would like to hear any feedbacks from others using the 10 footers (ML, M, MH) before i get one. Targeting reef species up to 10lb (Bonefish, Trevally, Ladyfish, Cuda). 

I think it is a great buy

I recently bought 10' and 11', both M 3/4 to 3 oz

I wanted to see difference between them and to see which one I will keep.

I love 10' more since it gives me better control while plugging but 11' is also nice; it weights only 295 gr (just a little bit over 9 oz)

Both have 4000 reels filled with 20lb braid.

Turns out I will keep both.

I got the 10ML rated 1/2 to 2 oz and paired it with a Shimano Ultegra. Wow!!!

First this rod is crazy light. Second this rod can casts sp minnows  13 & 15 with ease. And best of all this line of rods are very affordable. 

Everything is pointing out that this could be a good rod.

It does fill really nice in hand

We shall see how it will act when fish is on the other end.

That would be a good test

Until than I will practice my casting any chance I have.

Just purchased the 8 ft Okuma Rockaway spinning rod at Jigging World. Light, tough and sensitive! I paired it with a Penn Battle II with 20# Sufix braid and this set up is amazing for the beach chasing fluke and schoolie sized blues and bass. Throws 1/2 oz to 1 0z bucktails nicely with a Gulp trailer. Very sensitive...feel every nibble and bump. For the money I think this is a great set up for the beach without breaking the bank! 

Awesome for surf fluke!

I've been fishing the 11' for 3 months now paired with a Saragosa 5000 and 30lb Jbraid. Im a west coast guy targeting snapper and ling cod up tp 14lbs so far off the rocks. I've since fused mine into a one piece as the ferrule kept slipping. I love this thing and at $90 on amazon its a keeper. But, at twice the price I do prefer the BH suzuki 10.

Been using a 12 foot Rockaway Medium for perch at, ta-da, Rockaway Beach in Oregon. It is doing the job perfectly, but it isn't the 10 foot you asked about. I'm tossing 2 oz weights with 15 or 20 pound braid and killing 'em.

Great value for the money, very nice quality. I can't imagine the 10 footer being anything less.

10 footer is a great rod.

Light, sensitive and very strong

Didn't have a chance to hook on anything big yet but I love this rod.

Have 11 footer also but 10 is my 1st choice.

Im new to Surf Fishing and have only been doing it less than a year now so my knowledge has been based on trial and error. Please take in consideration that I am still working on my casting that being said after being given a 10' Rockaway ML I have decided that there is no point to buy any other brand and spend more than twice the amount. When I do get off a good cast I am able to cast just as far if not further than the anglers with the more expensive rods casting them same lure. As for the strength of the rod my first fish on it was a 33" striper and it pulled in that thing with ease. The fish had not chance of getting away. I have also taken this rod to surf fish at night time and as you probably already know you cant rely on sight. This makes you have to depend on touch and even though I couldnt see where my lure was because of the sensitivity of the Rockaway I knew exactly where my lure was at and what it was doing. I have recently ordered an 11' Medium so that I can have the ability to cast a wide range of lure weights that the 10' ML and 11' M together covers. I highly recomend this rod to all beginners as well as seasoned anglers. In my opinion why spend $200 - $300 when you can spend $100. Use the money saved for Lures. One thing that I forgot to add... Just as Skkeeter mentined in his reply my 10' rod does tend to slip at the point where the 2 pieces join so I have to check it every 10 casts or so

San Diego tackle stores are fantastic in many respects, but they only have a tiny amount of surf rods stocked. 

One store happens to have a “fair” amount of surf gear store, which includes a few of those rockaway rods. I looked at a few of them but really didn’t think too much of those rods to be honest. 

But all of these comments are starting to make me feel as if I might be missing something, and I think I’ll go back and look at some of those rods again. 

3 hours ago, SoCalStripers said:

I looked at a few of them but really didn’t think too much of those rods to be honest. 

What don't you like about them? 

I bought the 11' 3/4-3oz. It seems perfectly adequate. And pretty cheap. 

23 hours ago, SoCalStripers said:

One store happens to have a “fair” amount of surf gear store, which includes a few of those rockaway rods. I looked at a few of them but really didn’t think too much of those rods to be honest. 

Just wondering same as JButts

What was it that you didn't like?

I have 10' and 11' and love every moment spent with them.