Fly By Nite

Hagfish

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Europeans eat lampreys, and they were brought here as a food fish. If starvation is a familiar thing, it makes sense that you learn to eat everything that's edible. No reason why hagfish should be any different. 

3 hours ago, IsmailG said:

What are those maggot looking things

Maybe egg sacks, they weren't in all of them. I would definitely try that.I've bought monk fish that where once kicked off the deck.

15 hours ago, IsmailG said:

What are those maggot looking things

I'm sure they ate those, too.  Probably ate the eyeballs.  hagfish eyeball soup.  Just goes to show you everything in the ocean is edible.

I was in C-Mart in Boston today, And I swear I saw the hagfish, or at least something very close. Place has a LOT of strange seafood, which I leven closer to be able to go weekly and experiment with stuff. Saw these tiny little eel like fish that were white, perhaps 4" long and thinner than a pencil. Don't think they were baby elvers, but something else. They looked perhaps yummy to me, but that type of stuff has to be super fresh, and well, there is only so much 2 people can eat in a day or so. ;)

They have geoducks,  fresh huge scallops in shell, other types of clams and stuff that I can't identify. I saw one live Dungness in the tank at $14/lb, some farm raised live bass, couple of other live fish,  and an assortment of fin-fish on ice, whole, gutted, or otherwise cut. Some I recognize and some I don't.Issue is that lots of stuff is only marked in Chinese, and stuff that is not, the translation I sketchy at best. They generally take your selection. be it live or dead whole, and clean it for you, If I buy finfish there, I always decline, I prefer to cut my own fish

Did score a dozen nice, fresh looking and lively she crabs (female blue crabs) at $3.99/lb......12 bucks for the dozen, which will provide more than enough eat to go over pasta and likely a crab cocktail appy once I pick them all.... :)

One thing I didn't see there today though was the live bull frogs..... live eels, yes (another thing I would buy if I lived closer, $11.99/lb). :)

On 5/12/2018 at 10:58 AM, woodbutcher said:

I'm sure they would if slime ells, aka hagfish, had eyes.

ROFL. Maybe is one of those mythical dishes. lol