jjdbike

Hardware for Solvkroken Cod Jig help please?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Hello folks

First off, thanks for reading this & for replying if you know this specific tackle & or know where I can get it.

I need to replace the hardware on my Solvkroken Rustfri cod jigs, i.e. split rings, swivels & hooks. My Solvkrokens range from approximatly 9 - 19oz. The weights labeled on the jigs are not accurate.

Those jigs have particulalrly challenging holes in thier bodies for the split rings. They require a split ring that is relativley large in diameterm but made from thin wire. Check the attached pic below. Does anyone know the make, model & size of those rings & more importantly, where I can order them?

They also have a strange & unique swivel (check the pic) that doesn’t require an additional split ring. It helps keep the hook closer to the body of the jig limiting the risk of flowling the line when casting. Again, does anyone know what the swivel is & where I can order them? Yes I’ve tried using a regular swivel & additional ring but like I say, it tends to fowl the line more often.

Finally, The hooks. I like the scary sharp Gamikatsu hooks which are 4X, short shank trebles. I believe they are called Stinger hooks? I prefer them to be a tad smaller, as to better accomidate the smaller mouth of haddock. Those hooks are strong and sharp enough to hold a good size cod or pollack. My problem is I can not remeber the sizes. From the hip I think they may be 3/0, 4/0 & 5/0, does that sound about right?

Thanks in advance for any info on the specific tackle & / or where I may order it.

Tight Lines!

JD

Svenskepilk_Rustfri__54840.1384706492.1280.1280.jpg

For something like that I would just pop in to my local shop with one in hand to see what I needed. Chat up the counter guy for a few minutes.

13 hours ago, Slayer said:

For something like that I would just pop in to my local shop with one in hand to see what I needed. Chat up the counter guy for a few minutes.

Thanks Slayer,

Yes good advice & wish it was that easy for me.

I live 2 hours from my favorite “local shop” as I live in-land. Also, not many people use those jigs around these parts, at least not much any more.

I do need to speak w/ a tackle shop further north, who still has some old-school cod fishers.

Thanks.

JD

22 mins ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks Slayer,

I live 2 hours from my favorite “local shop” as I live in-land. Also, not many people use those jigs around these parts, at least not much any more.

I do need to speak w/ a tackle shop further north, who still has some old-school cod fishers.

Thanks.

JD

Thats not typical fishing hardwre and I dont know why ,you just couldnt rig up ,something else more readily available, that would work just as well, I have purchased many types of hardware for marine applications, including anchor and anchor chain, that is called a swivel eye or pear shaped swivel eye, normally used in terminal applications. I googled it for you, came close but not exactly.

3 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks Slayer,

Thanks.

JD

Hey if I can get to it I will stop by Cape Fishermen Supply in Chatham and see what they have, sounds like you want different hooks than standard so just looking for hardware between jig and hook?

If interested I have a box of them in the barn I will probably never use interested??

10 hours ago, CapeDave said:

Hey if I can get to it I will stop by Cape Fishermen Supply in Chatham and see what they have, sounds like you want different hooks than standard so just looking for hardware between jig and hook?

If interested I have a box of them in the barn I will probably never use interested??

Thanks a ton Dave!

Yes I am very inerested for sure.

Please PM me with details.

By the way, what the heck is that split ring? It is wide diameter but thin/narrow guage wire to fit in those deep but narrow holes in the body of the jig?

Thanks again!

JD

On 4/19/2018 at 8:55 AM, CapeDave said:

Hey Dave,

I PM’s you back.

Thanks!

JD

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 6:24 AM, peanutbunkerandjelly said:

You can mimic that set up with some strong and compact spot split rings and swivels.

I have looked local and you need to do this/\ Goood luck

Remove the Treble Hook from the Bottom and put a Single Siwash Hook on Top and a 50-100 pound Mono or Fluorocarbon leader with 2 Dropper Loops then a large Barrel Swivel.  You can change out Dropper Flies/Teasers or Bat on the Dropper Loops, easy if you use snap swivels.  and you wont loose the jig on rocks or shipwrecks.

I just noticed this thread.  I have a one-pound stainless Norwegian jig that I'd like to rig up too.  Jjdbike, what solution did you finally reach?  

I just used a combo of heavy silver Rosco swivels & split rings.

While I've always loved those sticky sharp short shank stinger hooks w/ a squid tube, I'm starting to lean towards a single Siwash. Lately I've done as well w/ a hammered diamond w/ a twist tail grub.

Far & away my new fave teaser is a ball & chain swivel w/ a open eye O'Shaughensy pinched on and a twit tail grub. Size & color depending on target species.

JD