Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bonefishdick

Sanibel Report 04-17-18 Playing Guide

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

The wind finally changed to a proper direction today and it looks like it will be a short lived event. Tomorrow it appears it is going to swing back to SW which is never a good thing. Today I was able to meet up with my old friend Rod who is here for a couple of weeks. He arrived at my house at 6:30 am and we were on the beach before 7 am. The air temp was cool and pleasant after the high temps lately and the wind being NE was very light, conditions were good but the water still remained very silted meaning no sight fishing.

The tide was incoming with low at best 45 minuted before we arrived but it was a very fast filling tide and it was moving in over the sandbar with small rollers as the offshore wing tried to hold it out. The wind will never win against and incoming tide. The nice thing is the sand bar was not that far away and putting the fly on the bar was easy and productive. I told Rod to walk down to one of four Australian ines and start there. His second cast produced his first fish, I was 50 yards from him but he let me know it was a nice Trout. His second fish was also another Trout.

My first fish was solid hit just as the fly came of the bar and that was followed up by three nice jumps letting me know I had the first Snook of the morning. The fish was a very decent size but the picture was all blurred. I gave Rod a bit of instruction in the event we had another chance for another picture. Taking picture is like shooting a gun, it really is a matter of just squeezing the trigger, not jerking it.

It was 15 minutes later and I was into my secnf fish and once again this fish slammed the fly and made one jump and the a quick hard burst wrapped my knuckles so had that I actually had a small cut and some blood. Two jumps later and another nice run finally spent the fish enough to quickly allow me to slic=de the fish onto the beach.

My Chernobyl Schminnow was 2 for 2 and this time the picture lesson paid off.

P1100367sol.JPG.01ec538b42e886f8d6c2275d49289058.JPG

I was surprised how fast the tide came in and I adived Rod to put on a weighted fly. He switched up to a Yellow and White Clouser.

The water was rising and soon after changing hs fly Rod made a cast to the sandbar which was now a bit longer cast. Rod soon put a bend in his rod after the switch and he was soon watching his fish put on a nice aerial display. Rod had his first Snook since his arrival.

P1100369sol.JPG.9eefbb91322560c2f4394526bf6f1c60.JPG

We continued to work this same area for another hour and finally decided to move to another section of the beach to see how the the very strong onshore winds over the last 4 days  may have effected the structure. The changes were significant and the access to the beach which previously had a 6 inch lip to get onto the beach now had a 4 foot drop.

We worked the area for about an our and then finally decided it was Bailey's time for our coffee and scones and a trip to Norm's.

Dick, you're killing me! I want to retire and go fishing everyday! I still have one more kid to get through college and wonder if I could talk her into joining the army. Nice fish Bro!

How's the leg? Must be better.

The legs are doing okay, keeping a close eye on them, lots of bacitracin and water proof bandages. Most of the water that kets to them is when he wter rolls up onto the beach, otherwise they stay high and dry. They do look funky when i first remove the dressing but then they scab up well.