FatTailWagging

Blank Selection for a new Plug / Bucktail Rod

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I need to build a new snook rod as I sold my current one on a whim through Craig’s List this evening. The one I sold was a Batson Rainshadow SW 1087 (rated 3/4 to 4 oz, 15#~25# line) set up with KR Fuji guides. I liked it very much, but it seemed a little to stiff for the 3/4 to 1-1/2 oz buck tails and lures I was using it for. I sold it to a guy who is taking it to Oregon to bait fish for salmon, so it found a good home.

If I were to build that rod again, I would reverse the spine so that the natural curve goes up (spinning set up) to soften it a wee bit on the cast and maybe make the rod more stable on the cast (comments appreciated).

Anyway, I am shopping for blanks and am looking at stuff rated 1/2~2 ounces for this new build. I figure I should be able to throw 3/4 oz to 1-1/2 oz buck tails and SP minnows well and still be able to throw my smaller 5/8 oz plugs so it would be more versatile. The heaviest lure I own is 2-1/8 oz and it only comes out occasionally if at all.

The specific application is shore fishing in a few inlets on the west coast of Florida for snook (slot size is 28” to 34”) using mostly 1 oz Flare Hawks (a type of bucktail) and lures around 1 oz plus or minus a little. The water is moving, but not to fast. I would really like to stay under $150 for the blank.

I have three in mind and was hopeful that some of you ladies and gentlemen could comment on their suitability for the task at hand or recommend something I might have overlooked. 

1. Lamiglass 1018 L, 9’ (1/2~2-1/2 oz)
  2. Black Hole Suzuki, 10’ (1/2~2 oz) (obligatory inclusion on this forum as of late)
  3. Batson Rainshadow SU1264F. 10.5’ (1/2~2 oz)

I will probably be building them with a Fuji KR setup and pairing it with a Daiwa BG 4000 and/or a Stradic 4000. It doesn’t matter to me if it s one or two piece. 

Any and all comments are appreciated.

dont expect the rotation of the spine to change what the rod can load. the amount of force the spine has is nothing compare to the force of the load during a cast on even the low end of a rods rating. 

you should also consider the fsc 1086 or 1087. the 1086 being lighter of the two. the black hole you mentioned is very light building on now in addition to the 9'6" which is a little heavier and might be a better choice. the lami is a great blank if it fits you application. denny snook is very familiar with the fsc rods and does alot of snook fishing try pm'ing him

I'll second Mikes recommendation of the 1086. And you won't go wrong with the 108 1L either. The 1086 will give you a little better top end range and the ability to really put the screws to a fish in current while the 1081L may give you a little better bottom end range. 

I've fished both and would rate the 1086 3/4 to 3 and the 108 1/2 to 2. 

Edited by PhilCVG

I appreciate the reccomendation of the FSC 1086 and the very specific description of how it contrasts with the 1081L; I have read good things about their blanks in the past on this forum. However, that blank lists for $225 while the Lamiglass lists at $139. Is it really that much more pleasant to fish? Will I be glad I spent the extra money?

9 hours ago, FatTailWagging said:

Will I be glad I spent the extra money?

You will be very happy with either. Get both :howdy:

19 hours ago, FatTailWagging said:

The one I sold was a Batson Rainshadow SW 1087 (rated 3/4 to 4 oz, 15#~25# line) set up with KR Fuji guides. I liked it very much, but it seemed a little to stiff for the 3/4 to 1-1/2 oz buck tails and lures I was using it for. 

Anyway, I am shopping for blanks and am looking at stuff rated 1/2~2 ounces for this new build. I figure I should be able to throw 3/4 oz to 1-1/2 oz buck tails and SP minnows well and still be able to throw my smaller 5/8 oz plugs so it would be more versatile. The heaviest lure I own is 2-1/8 oz and it only comes out occasionally if at all.

The specific application is shore fishing in a few inlets on the west coast of Florida for snook (slot size is 28” to 34”) using mostly 1 oz Flare Hawks (a type of bucktail) and lures around 1 oz plus or minus a little. The water is moving, but not to fast. I would really like to stay under $150 for the blank.

I will probably be building them with a Fuji KR setup and pairing it with a Daiwa BG 4000 and/or a Stradic 4000. It doesn’t matter to me if it s one or two piece. 

Based on what you wrote above, I think the 108 1L fits what you are looking to do a little better than the 1086. Reel size, the guide layout you are looking to use, and the weight range all lean more 108 1L. If price is a factor, that also leans the way of the 108 1L also. 

I have a 1081L built sort of NGC  and paired with a daiwa SS.  Really shines with 1 ounce give or take weight lures.  Awesome for pitching tin for albies.  The daiwa will hold a ton of line if you need it.  They run larger than the Shimano so just be mindful of that if you haven't compared side by side.  If I did it over again..... with newer guides... newer reel...  I would opt for KR layout with single foot guides and a daiwa BG.  BUT... current and fish stopping power can be a factor.  If you're in a crowd on a jetty and need to stop a big fish.......????   Just my 2 cents...  from a novice builder.... so basically listen to Phil. 

Based on the recommendations here I called FSC to ask about getting one of their blanks. Not good news. As of March 1st, the major shipping companies increased the shipping cost of anything over 8' to $125. That sort of makes the FSC blank cost prohibitive. This is going to hurt all of the blank builders in a big way. 

Therefore I am relegated to using a blank I can source (relatively) locally which includes the three I mentioned in my original post. 

Any thoughts about those, especially the black hole and rain shadow blanks?

Just built a 10' Suzuki, KR train & Fuji FazLite guides + a weighted Fuji Butt Cap.

Haven't fully used it, but it casts great - may not need any weights in the butt cap, since I have only used a BG 2500 to date.

No info on the reel yr planning to use - but Stryper Snyper is pretty much on the mark.

Blank, reel seat & guides are well under $175 - I found a defective BG 2500 for real cheap & cut off the bail - so the whole kit & caboodle a bit over 2 bills. 

3 hours ago, fishing1975 said:

I have both 1081 and suzuki 10’ with stradic5000; it works extremely well on 1oz; cant go wrong with either option for the $ ; 

Can you compare and contrast those two rods for me? How do these two do at the ends of their lure ranges?

If you need a rod to cast 2oz out there then suzuki10’ is better option as it loads a-little better with 2oz than the lami;  it has more backbone to it , peronally,  i prefer 1 piece rod ... as long as you are ok 2 pieces , keep in mind lami is 9’.  Also it is definitely feel diff than the SW1087 you had, u gonna have to make adjustments when you fishing;  i have the sw1207 and it is a different animal compare to suzuki 10’. 

53 mins ago, fishing1975 said:

If you need a rod to cast 2oz out there then suzuki10’ is better option as it loads a-little better with 2oz than the lami;  it has more backbone to it , peronally,  i prefer 1 piece rod ... as long as you are ok 2 pieces , keep in mind lami is 9’.  Also it is definitely feel diff than the SW1087 you had, u gonna have to make adjustments when you fishing;  i have the sw1207 and it is a different animal compare to suzuki 10’. 

How about on the lighter end of things. Will these rods really throw 1/2 ounce, will they go down to 3/8 ounce OK?

I am sure 3/8 will work fine on both rod but no optimized  for distance; typically i will use my other rod tidemaster 1/4-3/4oz 8’ 1 piece for 3/8oz; It is hard to find one rod  that does everything well, I would say 3/4-1.5oz works very well for both, and i wont go > 3oz; if u plan to use 3/8-3/4oz often then try to get a shorter like 7-8’ foot rod for this purpose; you will more enjoy using it. 

24 mins ago, fishing1975 said:

I am sure 3/8 will work fine on both rod but no optimized  for distance; typically i will use my other rod tidemaster 1/4-3/4oz 8’ 1 piece for 3/8oz; It is hard to find one rod  that does everything well, I would say 3/4-1.5oz works very well for both, and i wont go > 3oz; if u plan to use 3/8-3/4oz often then try to get a shorter like 7-8’ foot rod for this purpose; you will more enjoy using it. 

Thanks for the detail. I have other rods that I normally use when throwing small lures inshore. But I prefer to only carry one rod when walking the beaches or passes and the ability to occasionally throw light plastics (however inefficiently) can be very useful. Thanks for all your feedback.