Coop's Floating Sand Eel

Rate this topic

patze003

14 mins ago, Otshawytsha said:

Look great caspar. Are you tying the tails to the tubing or running a length of mono back from the hook and tying to that? I did the latter. 

Thanks. I run the til through the body tubing and tie to the hook and it is also tied down where I tie off the body tybing for the tail. No need for mono

Nelson Sigelman, who lives on the Vineyard and has tied with Coop, has the following on one of his blog posts.   You can find his blog at Nelson Sigelman Outdoors.  This pretty much shows what others have posted.

HT

2018-06-09_201054.png.4226bf2d010a25b8076d9f003f4e3352.png

Currently have aphasia.    Aphasia is a result of my head stroke causing a bleed.   Happened in my Maine vacation in July (2021).   Lucky me less than 1% of people get stroke aphasia.  :(      I'm making project but have been told this is easily 5 months to 1 year for this to improve.   Until then hope you don't mind making sense with what I text.   HT

• 1 month later...

Night time is the right time. Here are a couple of flies I tie. The top fly is simple. Foam tube punched through with a hot bodkin. Thread onto hook. Stick thin hackle into the rear hole w/ crazy glue. Not very durable, Maybe 2 or three fish, but has worked for me when nothing else will. Big fish will eat this. Second fly, Gartside floating sand eel. Black corsair, Steve Farrar Midnight Blitz flash blend, black pearl Krystal flash, and foam tubing lashed to the hook. I saw that people were asking about the Corsair. It is available on Jack's website which is now run by a gentleman named Mike Quigley. 2 sizes, 1/4 " in black, white, and white silver. 1/2" in black and white. Last 2 flies, Page Rodgers Slim Jim. Same deal. Black foam punched through and slid onto hook w/ crazy glue. Tail Midnight blitz and krystal flash. Body is epoxy mixed w/ pearl glitter. Really lights up at night in the water. Google Page Rodgers Slim Jim for tying instructions. Not a great pic but you get the idea.Night.thumb.jpg.9067da82ba4865e38dd9e0de944650b5.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 1/29/2020 at 6:25 PM, Sandeel95 said:

The latest edition of ON THE WATER,  FEB 2020, has an article

on Coop and his Floating Sand Eel.

A nice tribute to a legend,  Fished with him in the early 1980's

There are a few pics of the Eel.

I have tied the Page eel, but i will tie some of Coop's for this season.

if you could post a link to this article, it would be very helpful.

Thx, Sandeel, for your response. I've tied many Coop's Floating Sand Eels which were definitely a great striper catcher while on Martha's Vineyard during the sand eel hatch which usually occurs during the first week of June, approximately.  Coop actually gave me the one he was tying in his shop. I copied it and, wow, what a great pattern during early June nights! Because of this, I was just interested in how OTW magazine covered Coop's great fly and if the article did Coop "justice". I'm sure the article didn't mention this but, if you do tie up Coop's Floating Sand Eel fly and use it during the first two weeks of June, he recommended casting it out, floating line, as Coop loves to advise all of us Vineyard fishermen for night fishing, and let. it. sit. Don't move it! If it's not taken in a minute or two, just "twitch" the line and let. it. sit. 

Don't know which pattern of Coop's OTW mag described because he had a couple but if made of the skinny Corsair and very short with a #4 hook, that would be it.

It works!

5 mins ago, flysully said:

Thx, Sandeel, for your response. I've tied many Coop's Floating Sand Eels which were definitely a great striper catcher while on Martha's Vineyard during the sand eel hatch which usually occurs during the first week of June, approximately.  Coop actually gave me the one he was tying in his shop. I copied it and, wow, what a great pattern during early June nights! Because of this, I was just interested in how OTW magazine covered Coop's great fly and if the article did Coop "justice". I'm sure the article didn't mention this but, if you do tie up Coop's Floating Sand Eel fly and use it during the first two weeks of June, he recommended casting it out, floating line, as Coop loves to advise all of us Vineyard fishermen for night fishing, and let. it. sit. Don't move it! If it's not taken in a minute or two, just "twitch" the line and let. it. sit. 

Don't know which pattern of Coop's OTW mag described because he had a couple but if made of the skinny Corsair and very short with a #4 hook, that would be it.

It works!

Howdy, hope all is well :)     Might you have a photograph of the original you can share ?

Thx,

Chuck

Currently have aphasia.    Aphasia is a result of my head stroke causing a bleed.   Happened in my Maine vacation in July (2021).   Lucky me less than 1% of people get stroke aphasia.  :(      I'm making project but have been told this is easily 5 months to 1 year for this to improve.   Until then hope you don't mind making sense with what I text.   HT