gooner

Advice for newcomer to fly fishing(transition from spinning)

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, crunch said:

Now some speculation how money can buy a little bit of performance using the above statistics. Bluetooth is used to cast WF8 line which head weights 260gr. Helios is 17% stiffer so it can used to cast one weight class heavier WF9 head which is 300gr and 15,4% more so both bend about the same and no overload symptoms exist. 40gr = 2.6g heavier. Helios tip is 0.96g lighter but when it bends it comes closer so I use 0.7g of the saved weight for heavier line. Second section is 2.8g lighter but it is closer so I use only 2g of saved weight. Third section is 4g lighter but it is even closer so I use only 1g saved weight totalling 3.7g so casting 2.6g heavier weight can "feel" even lighter and Helios could be used to cast even heavier line than this 3.7g example because blank bends slightly less because it is lighter and stiffer. Earlier I wrote my finding that one line weight class increase distance 4% to 5% and from very good 8wt 80ft cast the distance increase to 83ft or even 84ft and no more effort is need. Discounted Helios did cost $500 and discounted Bluetooth $140 so one feet of more distance costs about $100...$120.

Esa

wow esa you were completely instructive! thanks a lot of the information! i think i will go for the budget gear that worked well for you! the airflow bluetooth nano and the airflo switch package alongside the cold saltater intermediate line!differences are too small to be worried from so early on as you described! i will understand what i need from my own expreriences.it will guide me to the right direction.

5 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Yes The Bass Anglers  Sport Fishing Society.

leaders for sinking lines mostly we don’t need  more than 2 meters. There is absolutely no problem turning over fly with a straight 2 m long leader.

You could buy a tapered leader that is ok but they are way more expensive and you do not need them. Mostly they are 9 feet so if you want to shorten it you are throwing away one third of  an expensive leader.

Leaders get tangled up and twisted so making your own is better mostly.

You need a longer leader when fishing a floating  line to get any depths at all with your fly. You could use a shop tapered leader and as it shortens through changing flies loop on some tippet material.

Leaders need not be fancy. Ok on very hard days when fish are really spooky you might get some help from a 10 or 12 lb test tippet.

Tippet is just a way of saying the end part of your leader. If you buy it on spools marked as tippet you pay stupid money through the nose and for short lengths.

Buy 100 m spools of clear mono or flouro for both leader and tippet.

I don’t bother with tippets I use just a straight length of 15 or 20 lb for our Bass.

Twenty years ago it was common for rods to be rated for two lines 8/9  6/7 etc.

The theory was the higher rating was for wf lines and the  lower for double taper lines where more head might be put into the air.

The Airflow rod should handle both 8 and 9 lines but I have never  cast  it so do not know for certain.

Every rod can handle a line one down and one up.

You are better off putting money to your rod rather than even the Lamson reels.

You do not need a great reel. You can save money on the reel.

Key components are your rod and fly line. That’s where you are best off putting most of your budget. They help you get your fly to the fish.

Ok nice if you can find another fly guy who will fish with you  but not necessary you can learn how to do this by yourself. 

If I can manage   it anyone can.

Dont lose most of the season worrying about the gear . Life’s too short.

Mike

mike before one year i was intrested to join the society as a spin fisherman! i communicate with someone on facebook that posted some photos from the magazine but he ignored me...i got no answer so i abandoed it!

All this american books i read about fly fishing make this leader tippet section a lot more difficult that actually is! they speaking about leaders with knots of diffferent lb lines or tapered leaders! as you say it is not something i ahve to worry about! i am a bit confused at this subject still but i will search and find the solution...i think i ll get the bluetooth rod with the airflo switch package to see if the etchnique fits me at the start!with the coldwater intermediate line...can you tell me the exact name of the line so i can find the correct one on google?because it gives me 2 choices and i dont know which one is the line you are speaking of!i have contacted to the guy from -fly fishing in greece- and he said me there is no interest from noone here in greece for swff...you have a personal mesage too check it :p

It is Airflo Ridge Cold Saltwater and Garry Evans sell it for £44.99. Sometimes it comes for less but if you already buy a rod the postage should not go higher than £25 for rod alone and if you buy Airflo reel and line the backing comes free. Search other shops too but GE has been good for me. John Norris is another I have shopped quite often.

Esa

22 mins ago, crunch said:

It is Airflo Ridge Cold Saltwater and Garry Evans sell it for £44.99. Sometimes it comes for less but if you already buy a rod the postage should not go higher than £25 for rod alone and if you buy Airflo reel and line the backing comes free. Search other shops too but GE has been good for me. John Norris is another I have shopped quite often.

Esa

the bluetooth lods good with an 8 or 9 wt line?

Posted (edited) · Report post

i just saw that gary evans has a very good package!

• Airflo Bluetooth Nan-Tec #8/9 Rod – MRP £119.99
  • Airflo Saltwater Fly Line – MRP £44.99 (Choose Cold Water or Tropical)
  • Airflo Airtec Reel – MRP £59.99
  • 175yd Spool of  30lb Backing – MRP £8.99
  • Dragon Saltwater Fly Selection – MRP £7.99

From 241$ just 169$ !!! you think worth the try?? its not the airflo switch reel with spare spools but it has a sealed drag and in my eyes it is a wonderfull offer!

http://www.garryevans.co.uk/airflo-bluetooth-nan-tec-89-saltwater-outfit-7963-p.asp

Edited by gooner

Agree with Esa.  That set-up is a bargain.  Airflo lines are great, IMO.  The reel does not look sealed and IMO does not need to be if you take care to regularly rinse it down with fresh water and strip it down once per year.

3 hours ago, Killiefish said:

Agree with Esa.  That set-up is a bargain.  Airflo lines are great, IMO.  The reel does not look sealed and IMO does not need to be if you take care to regularly rinse it down with fresh water and strip it down once per year.

Our Airtec large arbor has been machined using the very lightest bar stock aluminium and compliments our modern lightweight rods. A fully sealed, salt water resistant drag system is housed within this aesthetically pleasing reel. 

2 hours ago, gooner said:

Our Airtec large arbor has been machined using the very lightest bar stock aluminium and compliments our modern lightweight rods. A fully sealed, salt water resistant drag system is housed within this aesthetically pleasing reel. 

Then it isn't the reel shown in the picture.  I can see the drag plate.  There is probably a bearing hidden in the spool that is also likely exposed.

Gooner

Not  sure what happens when you contacted UK Bass. Very un usual and not exceptable. I used to be the  Chairman and I am very active still in Bass.

We have over seas members  we post them out mags you get treated same as anyone else.

You have my email on a PM I sent you. I can get you a free mag sent out and it will have details of committee guys etc.

It is a great resource . But it is not like a commercial mag.

Leaders are dead simple.

Get cracking and buy the outfit from Gary Evans. It will get you started .

Dont worry about sealed drags. Every fly reel I  have ever owned has let water into the drag. It does not matter . You  have to service your reel very often. Cheap reels should be seen as expendable. You need to use gear not try and baby it and worry over it.

The game is about fishing not trying to make a piece of gear last until your old age.

mikey

My advice is simple: Keep the rod tip higher than you're used to when you make that final cast.

Much higher.

Cheers,

Graeme