gooner

Advice for newcomer to fly fishing(transition from spinning)

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

Hello to everyone! i am new to fly fishing general and especially to SWFF(but not new to fishing i fish with spinning for 5 years).i am from greece and you cant find anything here for this technique nor gear nor knowledge!spinning dominates the market here absolutely!my target is to fish for sea bass mainly(also bluefish too beacause they live in the same places as seabass)!i know where to find them and when i know the tides and the moon phases so i am ok with watercraft!after a lot of research to the internet and a lot of articles and videos that i found i understand that i need an 8wt rod and reel for this type of fishing and 3 different types of lines(floating, intemidate and sinking).i searched a lot all the brands and i have some candidates for both reel and rod!for reel i liked a lot lamson liquid(especially the pack with the 2 spare spolls) reddington behemoth,orvis clearwater and piscifun plate!all of them have large arbors from 3.8 to 4 diametre!behemoth and piscifun are the only one that are given for saltwater use but has no sealed drag(i think liquid has ).i am edging towards the liquid mainly of the 2 extra spolls and the brand that i think is one of the best!also i spoke with some people that they use it at saltwater and they said me that they had no problem with corrosion with rinse after each session!now for rods i liked a lot fenwick aetos,tfo clouser,orvis clearwater,tfo bvk( a bit more expensive) and loop q !aetos, clouser and bvk are fast action.clearwater and loop q are more moderate-fast!i think i need a rod that is good at 75-80 feet and over beacuse at our waters we need some distance especially if we fish from the shore!thats all from me! if you have any extra suggestions for reels rod lines i want to hear!if there is a book that has some concetraded knowledge i would be thankfull!and sorry for the long post but i have a lot of questions!  Grossa risata

some more information for the places i fish! absolutely stillwater or a little of current. depth is between 30cm and 3.5 meters maximum with average depth 1.5 meters!i think european seabass has the same habiatts as striped bass so a lot of flies i think should be exactly the same!

Buy matched sets, line and rod

Trying to figure out what line to use on what fly rod is possibly the biggest, most confusing PIA in all of fishing

I think Lamson and TFO are good places to start. And I recommend just starting with an intermediate line and seeing if you like fly fishing before you spend more money on more lines. If you do not have a fly shop close to home in Greece I recommend trying to find one in Europe or the States that has saltwater equipment and is accustomed to international sales and shipping. I know here in the eastern US Bear’s Den is a shop that could help you put together a rod/reel/line package and ship it to you. Just google “bears den fly fishing.” Have fun.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Gear is only half the story being able to use it well is the vital other half.

Rod wise an 8 wt might be undergunned. I fish in Europe. Wind is going to be a consideration . 

A genuine 9 wt would be a better place to start with.

You will end up probably with several rods as you get into this.

Get yourself a good cast. Fly in front of fish is well key.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

I was in Santorini for 10 days on my honeymoon. Gorgeous place and dying to go back. But did not see many fish at all, locals said the volcanic environment with overfishing had pretty much wiped out the population in that area of the Aegean. +1 for 9 weight. I swing my 9 weight in no wind and it's just as fine as an 8 weight, but when the wind picks up I am glad to have the extra power. 

On 4/13/2018 at 5:03 PM, cgg said:

I think Lamson and TFO are good places to start. And I recommend just starting with an intermediate line and seeing if you like fly fishing before you spend more money on more lines. If you do not have a fly shop close to home in Greece I recommend trying to find one in Europe or the States that has saltwater equipment and is accustomed to international sales and shipping. I know here in the eastern US Bear’s Den is a shop that could help you put together a rod/reel/line package and ship it to you. Just google “bears den fly fishing.” Have fun.

thanks a lot for the information!I looked at the store and he has everything i need about! i think i ll buy lamson liquid fenwick aetos( i read that it is the best budget rod out there and it is cheaper than bvk) and rio intouch striper intermidiate for start! is it good for statrting gear?

On 4/13/2018 at 7:26 PM, Mike Oliver said:

Gear is only half the story being able to use it well is the vital other half.

Rod wise an 8 wt might be undergunned. I fish in Europe. Wind is going to be a consideration . 

A genuine 9 wt would be a better place to start with.

You will end up probably with several rods as you get into this.

Get yourself a good cast. Fly in front of fish is well key.

Mike

where do you fish in europe?because it different to fish at france ( you fish in the atlantic ocean) and its different to fish in greece( you fish in meditreranean see) where wind is not so strong! bear in mind that our sea bass average weight is between 1-3 kilos mostly and you ll be very lucky if you catch a bass at 5 kilos! also our bluefish are between 1-4 kilos. for some reason they arent growing so big as yours in america! for the rod weight sure you know better than me! but from some articles i read from england and dutch guides who fish bass from shore they say you ll need an 7wt for calm conditions and a 9wt for strong wind! an 8wt is a good all arounder!

On 4/13/2018 at 8:42 PM, capefish4231 said:

I was in Santorini for 10 days on my honeymoon. Gorgeous place and dying to go back. But did not see many fish at all, locals said the volcanic environment with overfishing had pretty much wiped out the population in that area of the Aegean. +1 for 9 weight. I swing my 9 weight in no wind and it's just as fine as an 8 weight, but when the wind picks up I am glad to have the extra power. 

santorini is a very beatifull(and expensive) island! they have deep waters there and the island holds some different species of fish and i dont know if you can catch them on fly gear! fishes like amberjacks,dentex,group, gold grouper! 

Include a WF9F  WeightForward 9 Floating to practice casting.  I was teaching wantofish how to cast in the parking lot of Bob Popovics restaurant with a WF10I Weight Forward 10 Intermediate dark colored line. 

Bob Showed up and immeadiately took over the casting lesson and had me switch the Intermediate line with a bright Yellow Floating line.  His reasoning was twofold. the floating line is easier to cast and the color yellow lets you  see the loops much quicker. In a half hour he had wantofish double hauling.  

Having a floating line will allow you to cast surface flys to attract fish feeding on top of the water.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I fish in the UK and S. Ireland for Bass and yes it’s the Atlantic.

No matter which sea you are fishing in you will get at times strong winds. I would not consider an 8 wt as an all rounder.

A 9 wt is a much better rod.

It is more versatile. You can over line by one line fish a  10 wt  fish a 9 wt line and if it is ever calm  you can underline it by one line down to an 8 wt.

Rod selection has not much to do with the size of the fish. It has to do mostly with being able to get your fly to the fish.

In the Uk our average sized Bass to rod and line is barely one kilo. 

Even  a ten weight fly rod is not very powerful especially compared to most spinning rods used to fish for Bass.

If you don’t mind carrying  around an assortment of rods then go with the Dutch Guides and the English  Guides you have read articles from.  I wonder at times if we are on the same planet. It also depends just where these guys were  fishing. I know of one Uk guide who fishes in a spot where you can quite easily get away with a 6 wt rod.

On some days you can fish a 5 wt. 

Fly fishing is also about mobility and you really only want to be carrying one rod. To start with you need a general purpose rod not a rod for  just nice easy going days. When you get to the beach you want to know that today you will be fishing  not cursing the conditions and heading back home.

Not sure why you are now asking Guys on SOL if you have already taken advice elsewhere and I am betting about  to pull the trigger  on the rod.

Gear is a tiny part .

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

You being European too I think UK is good place to shop. Garry Evans and John Norris are where I often buy what I can not buy here Finland, which might be valid option for you too if postage stays reasonable. For example Garry Evans sell Airflo Bluetooth Nan Tech rod for €129. I have #8/9 and it casts great and it is built using very strong guides and has good reputation as a fishing rod. Its reel seat is bit heavy but some don't mind weight which does not increase swing weight but I might replace it to a lighter. Airflo reels which are OK and very cheap and perhaps Switch for only £59 which come with five plastic casette spool is nice for fast and cheap multi line use? I have older AF casette reel and it has worked OK when I have washed and lubed it after SW use.

The rod I have been most happy to buy recently is Orvis Clearwater but it costs £229 now but sometimes come discounted much cheaper. I have #8 and use it about 80% time for distance casting practice It is very light and has been more enjoyable than my two Helios which have cost three times more. Both of these rods cast great "true" 8wt line which head weights about 260gr but I have cast long about 60ft 280...300gr shooting heads too and full length DT5F 26m 28g (87ft 430gr) as a very long shooting head over snow so both rods have survived from serious stress test.

What comes to fly lines which are what defines the performance IMHO starting building shooting heads from cheap DT lines is the way to start and good to stay too :)

Esa

2 hours ago, RJ said:

Include a WF9F  WeightForward 9 Floating to practice casting.  I was teaching wantofish how to cast in the parking lot of Bob Popovics restaurant with a WF10I Weight Forward 10 Intermediate dark colored line. 

Bob Showed up and immeadiately took over the casting lesson and had me switch the Intermediate line with a bright Yellow Floating line.  His reasoning was twofold. the floating line is easier to cast and the color yellow lets you  see the loops much quicker. In a half hour he had wantofish double hauling.  

Having a floating line will allow you to cast surface flys to attract fish feeding on top of the water.

Hello RJ! i have read somewhere that floating line is the easiest to cast and so you must learn to cast with a floating line! the problem here is that i have  money to buy only 1 line to start!with an intermediate line i am not able to fish surface flies?

1 hour ago, Mike Oliver said:

I fish in the UK and S. Ireland for Bass and yes it’s the Atlantic.

No matter which sea you are fishing in you will get at times strong winds. I would not consider an 8 wt as an all rounder.

A 9 wt is a much better rod.

It is more versatile. You can over line by one line fish a  10 wt  fish a 9 wt line and if it is ever calm  you can underline it by one line down to an 8 wt.

Rod selection has not much to do with the size of the fish. It has to do mostly with being able to get your fly to the fish.

In the Uk our average sized Bass to rod and line is barely one kilo. 

Even  a ten weight fly rod is not very powerful especially compared to most spinning rods used to fish for Bass.

If you don’t mind carrying  around an assortment of rods then go with the Dutch Guides and the English  Guides you have read articles from.  I wonder at times if we are on the same planet. It also depends just where these guys were  fishing. I know of one Uk guide who fishes in a spot where you can quite easily get away with a 6 wt rod.

On some days you can fish a 5 wt. 

Fly fishing is also about mobility and you really only want to be carrying one rod. To start with you need a general purpose rod not a rod for  just nice easy going days. When you get to the beach you want to know that today you will be fishing  not cursing the conditions and heading back home.

Not sure why you are now asking Guys on SOL if you have already taken advice elsewhere and I am betting about  to pull the trigger  on the rod.

Gear is a tiny part .

Mike

Mike i ask SOL to take extra advice and  compare opinions to see what is the best to buy! i have not take the last decision yet nor i have pull the triger for he rod!for example i didnt knew that i can use an 8wt line on an 9wt rod! can i make the same at the upper end?for example use a 9wt line in an 8wt rod?as for the dutch and uk guides some said that 8wt is goog to start some others said 8 or 9wt so its a pretty good debate. i have no exprerience with fly to understand why to buy an 9wt rod over another thats why i ask questions on SOL.the truth is that i fish in a small gulf here in greece that is not exposed in heavy winds because there are small mountains around!only south wind can make the fishing hard!but here in greec bass loves the bad weather and the murky water(in comparison to UK that i read that fishermen are searching mainly for clear water).what type of line should you recomend to start?and do you have any recommendations for rod and reel?ty for the replie and i have not any intension to offend anyone!  

My most used DH rod is Cortland Endurance which was cheap as soap and based to that Cortland Precision 9ft #8 which comes with two tip sections discounted to £39,99 could be very good buy. Usually what money brings to fly rods is better quality components and build quality and often lighter weight but there can be expensive and not light rods. None of those have any effect to casting performance but casting ease and enjoyment they can have but that comes very personal.

Esa

Gooner

Need to calibrate a little. Crunch aka Esa casts in the world comps. He can do things most of us can’t. 

He practices with his 8 wt but that weight of rod is not going  to be your best general purpose rod for fishing in the ocean.

Good fly rods can be found these days for a very reasonable cost.

Before long you will probably like the rest of us own several.

To make it easier to start your journey it is better to have at  times a bit more rod than not enough. Bit more rod casts a heavier line and Esa will tell you that the line will have a significant impact on performance.

Have fun

mike

If you want an Intermediate WF line get the Airflo Cold SW. It is very strong and its shooting line does not tangle easy because it is stiff. Its coating should not soften in Greece sun either when fishing but do not keep the reel in sun when you don't fish.

Esa