drmevo

Safe areas to launch a kayak on the Piscataqua

24 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I just wanted to update this thread and thank everyone for the advice. I caught my first kayak striper and my first keeper on my first trip out back in late May in a creek mouth off the Shipyard back channel. Since then I've stuck to the Newcastle area and had lots of luck with schoolie-sized fish. I've even taken my family out in our canoe around Newcastle where mumichog mentioned and had my 7 year old catching schoolies. It's a great, easy place to launch. Eventually I might launch from Rye Harbor on a nice day and try my luck out front. My kayak is light so I think I can just park on the road and carry it down under one of the bridges going into the harbor.

Edited by drmevo

4 hours ago, drmevo said:

Since then I've stuck to the Newcastle area and had lots of luck with schoolie-sized fish. I've even taken my family out in our canoe around Newcastle where mumichog mentioned and had my 7 year old catching schoolies.

Just out of curiosity on my part......

What is the striped bass length range that you you call schoolie-sized ???

21 mins ago, Crozzbow said:

Just out of curiosity on my part......

What is the striped bass length range that you you call schoolie-sized ???

Hmm say 17-27? I know smaller is still considered a schoolie to some but I think I would say micro/rat for that size since there's a pretty big difference? Keeper would be 28"+, and much bigger, say over 35, well, I haven't caught one yet so I guess I haven't thought about it. :)

too me schoolies is anything under 28" - the 12" and smaller I call micros 

between newcastle and odiorne is schooli heaven good for little kids or adults with ADD like me. Of course the >40" fish we all want  do venture inside but I have been catching them out on the pogie schools.

June was all schoolies for me july was a different story once the pogies showed up 

48 mins ago, blacklabnh said:

between newcastle and odiorne is schooli heaven good for little kids or adults with ADD like me. Of course the >40" fish we all want  do venture inside but I have been catching them out on the pogie schools.

June was all schoolies for me july was a different story once the pogies showed up 

I've gotta devote some time to finding those pogie schools. I haven't caught any keepers since early in the season.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, drmevo said:

Hmm say 17-27? I know smaller is still considered a schoolie to some but I think I would say micro/rat for that size since there's a pretty big difference? Keeper would be 28"+, and much bigger, say over 35, well, I haven't caught one yet so I guess I haven't thought about it. :)

2 hours ago, blacklabnh said:

Way back on Sept 14,2015 "Topside 2" initiated a Post titled "What is a Schoolie?"

If you get a free moment sometime do a search on this ME/NH forum using Topside's title. (in bold above)

You might find It to be somewhat interesting and amusing.

Edited by Crozzbow

39 mins ago, Crozzbow said:

Way back on Sept 14,2015 "Topside 2" initiated a Post titled "What is a Schoolie?"

If you get a free moment sometime do a search on this ME/NH forum using Topside's title. (in bold above)

This may help. Just double click on the title.

20 hours ago, Crozzbow said:

So now I'm curious, what do you call a fish between 20-28"?

3 hours ago, drmevo said:

So now I'm curious, what do you call a fish between 20-28"?

Funny you should ask.. 

Double click "Conversion Chart Required"

Personally I believe the chart needs to be updated to reflect the new length regulations.