hipkvw

Shooting Head Frustration!!! Question....

128 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, ccb said:

You talk about the Belgian cast  and how it puts twist in the line and after 30 casts you have to take the twists out?

what would happen it you made one cast with the right hand and then the next cast with the left hand ?  Would it undo the twist?  

But I have a left hand retrieve reel how would I reel in a big fish on the left hand cast???

12 hours ago, Otshawytsha said:

I watched the Belgian cast video on youtube and they were saying it's a good cast for when you have a multi fly rig and or delicate tippets because the fly line keeps moving continuously through whole cast with no sudden change in direction that can shock the leader and flies. 

That was interesitng. 

Then another video came on, by Rajeff, showing double haul technique on andros isl. in very windy conditions. He explained importance of line speed and loop size and then went on to explain rod tip tracking and the timing of the double haul. In retrospect this is basic stuff, but I was in need of some re-education. Crunch here has been helpful on same stuff, and one thing she had said was that it's important to use haul at end of stroke which is also what Rajeff was saying.  

So I went out to work on not using belgian cast and also using the tips I relearned via youtube and boy they sure did help. Was able to dispense with the belgian once I got that haul timing going and keeping my rod tip a little more level with much smaller loop on forward cast. 

Line twist however continued quite powerfully with this and in some ways was even worse as with high line speed it seemed easier to get a bunch at the shooting guide. Luckily used the other techniques mentioned above to help with this.  

Haul efficiency comes better when it is timed right which is late because then it still accelerates the line which rod has already accelerated and when rod already straightens. Yes haul delays rod tip straightening speed but it is still significantly better than if haul is done too early because then haul tends to increase rod bend which leads to poor line acceleration because rod bends backwards. It is essential not to finish haul before rod has straightened because it can lead to a lateTailing Loop when rod tip straightens fast and rise and it shows more when line loop has aleady eached the leader. There can come a late TL if rod is stopped too high so it might require thinking which one leads to late TL and it can be little of both. Early TL which comes because of too abrupt acceleration is easier to understand. It is possible to make early TL using fast haul in the beginning.

Haul should have no effect to line twist.

Yes there can be pure Overhead casting using straight upright rod and Oval/Belgian casting where back cast is done using heavily sideways tilted rod and where forward cast is also done rod tilted sideways to avoid line hit but there can be everything in between where back cast is tilted slightly more than forward cast which should be good to learn. I think Oval casting twists line bit more than casting rod perfectly upright but sometimes OC is better and I just remove twists after a cast. I remember few fish which I noticed had bite when there came this five second longer pause before I began stripping so I understood fish were deeper and I should have needed to wait after the cast :)

Esa

12 hours ago, ccb said:

You talk about the Belgian cast  and how it puts twist in the line and after 30 casts you have to take the twists out?

what would happen it you made one cast with the right hand and then the next cast with the left hand ?  Would it undo the twist?  

I believe 100% it would but I know also 100% it is very difficult for me to use this method to remove twists :)

Esa

2 hours ago, crunch said:

I believe 100% it would but I know also 100% it is very difficult for me to use this method to remove twists :)

Esa

With a single hander very difficult. I tried to cast lefty once at the end of a practice session, felt like I had feet for hands. It feels all wrong. It is much easier IMO to be ambidextrous with a double hander. I recently finished mine and have been practicing a lot. Right side feels great but left side still feels a little weird. However, I'm almost able to match my distance off my strong side with my left side. It's a lot easier to switch from right to left.

On 4/20/2018 at 11:41 PM, Otshawytsha said:

But I have a left hand retrieve reel how would I reel in a big fish on the left hand cast???

Would think that casting from the left side, side arm coming over the top would form a loop and that casting from the right side . side arm coming over the top would from a different loop ( opposite )   forget about reeling?

2 hours ago, ccb said:

Would think that casting from the left side, side arm coming over the top would form a loop and that casting from the right side . side arm coming over the top would from a different loop ( opposite )   forget about reeling?

Yes I get the main idea and it's a dynamite one, having also benefits for the joints and building up a hedge against future injury potential or actual, but you can't avoid the flaw of what you do if a fish goes on the reel and you are casting with the left hand which, by necessity, must also be the reel/line hand!

2 hours ago, Otshawytsha said:

Yes I get the main idea and it's a dynamite one, having also benefits for the joints and building up a hedge against future injury potential or actual, but you can't avoid the flaw of what you do if a fish goes on the reel and you are casting with the left hand which, by necessity, must also be the reel/line hand!

I think you would switch hands Automatically  , being your strong hand. I would? 

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, ccb said:

I think you would switch hands Automatically  , being your strong hand. I would? 

a switch within the switch ok that's an interesting idea. and if you think about it, you were going to switch anyways to the right hand for the next cast so it's almost a preswitch right? 

Edited by Otshawytsha