HighEndHooker

C&D canal

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Planning my first trip of the year around the April new moon hopefully, and I’m thinking of checking out a new spot. Problem is, it’s almost 3 hours away. I know absolutely nothing about the C&D Canal and was going out on a limb hopin someone would PM me any useful info. I just had my son on the 31st so I’m not gonna be able to make any scouting missions before I head down there, is there good shoreline access? How fast is the current, how heavy of gear do I need? Does it even hold good numbers or good fish? Targeting bass but I’m also hoping for blues and weakies, are they around? I won’t be getting down there often, especially now, so don’t worry about me mugging your spot or destroying the place, and I plan to release every fish. I know I always steer most people away from my spots, but I’d appreciate any type of info at all. Or if someone wants to meet up to fish the 14th and 15th I plan on starting there and making my way up the Jersey coast slowly and sleeping in my truck

I did some research in the past as I was very curious myself. I noticed on the nautical charts that the area is heavily dredged which caught my interest. Salinity levels are much lower than the average area. You will catch mostly freshwater fish from what I have been reading (unless its a secret that no one has been talking about). I also believe it is a closed area on the Maryland side. 

I do know that the bass has been creeping up very close to the canal (inside scoop as of last week), but similarly very curious if they actually do run through the CD canal

Never fished the MD side but the DE side this time of year requires the use of circle hooks anywhere north of the southern jetty (aka inside the canal and north).  Access along the canal is good but rocky.  You'll need at least a few ounces to hold bottom.  I've only ever caught perch and cats in the canal itself but have had some success with bass on bait along the shoreline nearby.  Haven't fished the area much in around 5 years but likely will hit a few spots over the next couple weeks since its so close to me.  Personally if I was driving 3 hours I'd probably head somewhere else but if you get lucky large bass are taken from the area yearly.  Weakfish or blues that far north are a rarity and usually only happen when the salinity levels are higher than normal.

I’m a little more than an hour from the canal on the Chesapeake side and have been interested in fishing for stripers as well. The water is still pretty cold for bass to spawn so I think they would be staged up for at least another week yet. Let us know how you do.