viper2788

Salmon/Steelhead Blank Reccomendation

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

So from what I'd heard, some people use salmon/steelhead rods for the salt because theyre extremely light and yet powerful. When it comes to blanks, is there a difference when it comes to steelhead blanks? I'm looking for a 9 ft (70/30 split) that rated up to 4 oz or so. Just looking for an overall light/strong setup. I'll be using it for togs at the jetty or casting for big blues/stripers in current.

On a side note, where/how can I get the blank painted? Assuming the manufacturer doesnt provide the color I want. I've checked mudhole already..

Thanks!

Salmon and steelhead rods are generally soft, and limited in throw weight, because the fish have soft mouths.  IMHO they're not that great for SW use. 

I will be surprised if there is such a thing as a salmon/steelhead rod that is good with 4 oz.  Billy, Redhawk, Al ..... ?

5 hours ago, Great White said:

Check out Rodgeeks.

Awesome, Thanks! Love their color selection and the fact that theyre 70/30 split. Currently looking at their surf blanks. Anyone have any experience with their rods?

Brian,

I haven't fished it yet, but I'm currently building an north fork composites SA 1235 (IM) as a double handed fly rod. It's rated for loads between 1/2 and 5 ounces. I probably looked at several hundred blanks when I hunted for a blank to build my fly rod, and most steelhead and salmon blanks capped out at 2 ounces or less. High powered salmon and steelhead blanks are out there, but they're very uncommon.

To the OP,

I'd recommend looking elsewhere. You probably won't find what you're looking for with salmon and steelhead blanks. Saltwater blanks would probably be a better fit.

So... back the the drawing board. Surf blanks. For a 9ft, what lure rating would you guys recommend for jetty fishing for togs, blues and stripers? Looking at 1-4oz currently... MF action.