FunkyBunker

April 2018 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

1,036 posts in this topic

If anyone catches a decent fish in the Raritan Bay with a chartreuse Black Label swimmer in it's mouth followed by a 3-foot leader, please take it out, keep the plug and let the fish go.  I'm not sure how or why but I broke off where the braid meets the barrel swivel since I'm not fishing rocky areas, but I've made my peace with it......much more bummed at the thought of that fish swimming around with a plug stuck to it than I am about losing the plug (although that thing swam NICE.....).

 

And to whoever is hanging signs to let the egg-laden females go, Good on ya!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

It's what's very interesting....I can't remember fish this large this early on...and this many.  2 years ago the location sort of made sense....but this year...seems different....a bit more special in terms of qty of quality and willingness to smash plugs all along the south shore

Last year they were that big around Mid - April...just not in your playground...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 mins ago, daves745t said:

If anyone catches a decent fish in the Raritan Bay with a chartreuse Black Label swimmer in it's mouth followed by a 3-foot leader, please take it out, keep the plug and let the fish go.  I'm not sure how or why but I broke off where the braid meets the barrel swivel since I'm not fishing rocky areas, but I've made my peace with it......much more bummed at the thought of that fish swimming around with a plug stuck to it than I am about losing the plug (although that thing swam NICE.....).

 

And to whoever is hanging signs to let the egg-laden females go, Good on ya!

What kinda of knot did you use? Palomar is the only knot I use that won’t slip for connecting braid to terminal tackle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, HighEndHooker said:

What kinda of knot did you use? Palomar is the only knot I use that won’t slip for connecting braid to terminal tackle

Palomar is the only one I use as well.  Never had it fail.  Who knows, carrying it around through brushy areas, some piece of submerged garbage, anything could've nicked it.  I was trying to remember when I changed that leader...which probably means it was too long. Poop happens sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 mins ago, daves745t said:

If anyone catches a decent fish in the Raritan Bay with a chartreuse Black Label swimmer in it's mouth followed by a 3-foot leader, please take it out, keep the plug and let the fish go.  I'm not sure how or why but I broke off where the braid meets the barrel swivel since I'm not fishing rocky areas, but I've made my peace with it......much more bummed at the thought of that fish swimming around with a plug stuck to it than I am about losing the plug (although that thing swam NICE.....).

 

And to whoever is hanging signs to let the egg-laden females go, Good on ya!

Hopefully someone returns the plug to you and the fish to the water... 

 

I can't wait to see the signs.. I hope they are posted at the local hot spots

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, Goldy said:

Hopefully someone returns the plug to you and the fish to the water... 

 

I can't wait to see the signs.. I hope they are posted at the local hot spots

They are posted at local hot spots where that message is most needed and probably least heeded.... :mad:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 mins ago, daves745t said:

They are posted at local hot spots where that message is most needed and probably least heeded.... :mad:

I hope they are posted in multiple languages

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Local24 SSP said:

I believe I know of the location your talking. If it is, I fished it hard last spring with nothing to show for it except bunker and skunk-ings. Maybe it’s time to try it out this year...:huh:

There were a few fish....but not like the previous year....short window....and poof gone.

Edited by scoobydoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, daves745t said:

If anyone catches a decent fish in the Raritan Bay with a chartreuse Black Label swimmer in it's mouth followed by a 3-foot leader, please take it out, keep the plug and let the fish go.  I'm not sure how or why but I broke off where the braid meets the barrel swivel since I'm not fishing rocky areas, but I've made my peace with it......much more bummed at the thought of that fish swimming around with a plug stuck to it than I am about losing the plug (although that thing swam NICE.....).

 

And to whoever is hanging signs to let the egg-laden females go, Good on ya!

In one night, I went down a bomber, and 2 mag darters. Next to me another mag darter and a nice glider were left swimming. Suckiest part for me is all of my plugs had recently upgraded split rings and VMC's hooks, and were catching fish..

Edited by Sheisty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I let them all go. Except Fluke.

Try to convince my friends to do the same. Take a pic and let em go. Big ones taste like chit anyway.

Edited by fdhog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was out the other night and actually had a guy specifically ask me what the fine would be for keeping small bass.  He then told me that he got in trouble for keeping small fluke last year and that they only fined him $30.  So this guy already got caught, and it was so insignificant that he’s willing to risk getting caught again.  Need to change the fines and the enforcement.  I also think there needs to be a more effective education program.  There are a lot of people out there who don’t know that a salt water registry exists or that there are minimum size regulations in place for certain species.  And yeah, that includes posting things in multiple languages.  I moved along and looked for more productive water.  Picked up my first keeper of the season, along with 4 other healthy shorts.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fdhog said:

I let them all go. Except Fluke.

Try to convince my friends to do the same. Take a pic and let em go. Big ones taste like chit anyway.

Don't even bother with the pic.  There is no one left to impress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to a new spot in the back of NoMoCo to catch the outgoing but found out that this spot was more famous than I had expected. Lots of guys soaking bait and a few guys plugging. Casted a few times but mostly just walked and scoped around. Bunch of bait washed up on the shore and even saw a baby striper chewed up on the sand. Need to start fishing the back more and find a few spots to myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.