April 2018 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

FunkyBunker

1 hour ago, fishguts430 said:

Do you guys think this Saturday would be decent? My buddy and i had a trip plan to come down Saturday but he's starting to reconsider to wait a week since there is no blues in. I want to get my first strip and he wants the blues. Unfortantly having a great fishing buddy sometimes means butting heads every now and then. Not trying to be called lazy and to make my own report but its a 7.5 round trip for us so we gotta try to make our trips count. Thanks

I believe any day on the water is decent. The more chances to get down and fish the better. And that means any species of fish. Just plan what day works best and dont forget that there may not always be fish wanting to bite. There should be enough reports here to make someone get out there and want to fish.

5 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

Anyone have any advice about fishing on the river for them? I can get to a spot where the creek meets the river and suspect some good results there. Not sure which tide to aim for. Have caught a few schoolies so far but think I can do better.

In the Raritan, around the top of the incoming, when it's close to sunrise or sunset, has always been the most productive for me. But then again, where i fish, the depth ranges from 1' at dead low to 7' at high...The size of fish varies. From my experience they are are generally in groups of similar sized fish and they come and go in no time...bigger girls might come up the rivers once the migratory bass get up here. Head downstream

12 mins ago, joefishnj21 said:

Moco out back, 530 to 715. Not much action but the birds were putting on a show about a mile out. Finally got a nice fish right around 7 on a topwater yellow Tsunami. Came in at 27 inches. High water and fairly muddy.

IMG_20180416_192735_629.jpg

Fish looks bigger than 27”! Lol nice camera work

15 mins ago, Pma531 said:

Fish looks bigger than 27”! Lol nice camera work

haha. thanks fellas.. yes it does, Im an honest fisherman though. Just the nature of the one handed selfie. I love the instagram hero's who straight arm fish making it look like they caught a prehistoric striped creature. we all know its a dink! 

Edited by joefishnj21

Made it out back for a little bit from 1300-1500 outgoing. Two hook ups, landed one keeper size fish that I quickly released. The other one straightened out my stock hook on a shimano coltsniper. Slow day compared to how great it's been. I hopped in my truck and immediately ran down to my favorite tackle shop to load up on replacement treble hooks, split rings, clips, barrels, etc. Came home and replaced hardware on multiple lures so that hopefully that doesn't happen again. and made a handful of leaders. 

Edited by Jerseypride

'Fished for one hour tonight from 8:00 to 9:00 P.M. inside.  Caught one decent fish, well over 36".  With the honking wind and rough water I decided on a large darter. Caught her on like my 5th cast. I thought it was a much bigger fish. It was making runs and pulling a lot of drag. When I finally got her in she was hooked through the meat of her shoulder, not the mouth. I had one other hook-up that I dropped, than bagged it for the night.

Jim

8 hours ago, SPCFudgie said:

Fished from 5-9 in the howling west wind got 3 shorts 2 on a pencil and 1 on a Redfin. Fish were there but it was tough to make a decent presentation with the wind. 

I felt this way also. Got plenty of good bites but just couldn’t put the lure or bucktail where I wanted. Add the bow in my line from the wind direction by the time I picked up slack the plug was gone 

Out front CmC 445-630am. W 10-15 didn't feel as cold as forecasted but good for casting. Water temps down a bit from the other day, and what was left of the storm was lingering in the sky off the coast when the light started to break. Couldn't tell if i was throwing a plug or a garden rake with the weeds i was hauling in. Switched to a BT and moved around a bit more, got 1 little bump from something small but didn't connect. No gannets today, 1 cormorant swimming around, and a couple dolphins popped up about 615am. Winds today should clean things up a little bit. 

14 hours ago, Frugal Fisherman said:

In the Raritan, around the top of the incoming, when it's close to sunrise or sunset, has always been the most productive for me. But then again, where i fish, the depth ranges from 1' at dead low to 7' at high...The size of fish varies. From my experience they are are generally in groups of similar sized fish and they come and go in no time...bigger girls might come up the rivers once the migratory bass get up here. Head downstream

Thanks for the reply. I have only been able to fish the last 2 hours or so of the outgoing and once or twice beginning of the incoming. I think I've gone 5 times. Saturday produced nothing at all and there were plenty of folks out there. I think 2 Sunday's ago produced nothing either. One trip with the last hour of outgoing and 1.5 hours of incoming produced 2 stripers, a perch, and a large hookup lost. Another produced 3 cats (2 large so not a bad time) and for my friend a small striper. Today I'll probably try again, but high tide is a 3:40, and I won't be fishing until about 2 hours into the outgoing, which might result in something half productive but the water was stirred up. Next week I'll be able to hit some good incoming tides.

Seems like everyone has different logic to fit their agenda though. Some say outgoing is good at the creek mouth since the water is warmer and mixing into the colder river. Some say incoming is better as they will swim up into the creek, so being at the mouth where they need to enter can be good. I am trying to just put in some work to see what works best. I'm hesitant to toss out any lures due to the large amount of snags though, really just bait fishing.

• Sudsy locked this topic