FoliFish

2018 Herring Observations

114 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, GraniteStRockfish said:

i accidentally snagged 1  Fri evening with a zoom fluke in a local marsh, fairly wide open area too, kinda weird

(immediately released)

how long are they generally in the ponds before dropping back out?

Depends on when they arrived and the water temp in the pond. Alewives won’t spawn until the water reaches 51°. 

5 hours ago, beerdoh said:

Depends on when they arrived and the water temp in the pond. Alewives won’t spawn until the water reaches 51°. 

appreciate the info, thank you

I could not properly fish (or more accurately, get to more desired fish) in the charles river due to how full of herring that river is...that's my 'herring observation' contribution to this thread...LOL

Want to see if there were any shad, smallies, or even an odd early striper or two...

Most I've seen in years on the south shore. At least the birds are getting fat.

2018 Herring Run.jpg

On 5/2/2018 at 8:01 PM, zak-striper said:

But if there are only perch in my bucket would that be proof enough? I saw so many perch it would literally take me 15 minutes to get all I need

Lots of runs now have signs up warning that it is not "allowed" to "harass" river herring in the run.

1. It would probably depend upon how believable you were, the attitude of the EPO and what they had for breakfast.

2. Has anyone heard of anyone ever being fined for taking river herring since the moratorium in MA?  Ever?

5 hours ago, albacized said:

I could not properly fish (or more accurately, get to more desired fish) in the charles river due to how full of herring that river is...that's my 'herring observation' contribution to this thread...LOL

Want to see if there were any shad, smallies, or even an odd early striper or two...

That was my observation a week or so ago too.  I did manage one small largemouth but it was damn near impossible to get anything through those herring!

1 hour ago, pogie_boy said:

2. Has anyone heard of anyone ever being fined for taking river herring since the moratorium in MA?  Ever?

The poaching has slowed a bit in recent years but I know of one guy who got fined.  Crazy Russian guy in Watertown Sq.  He snags herring then puts them back out on like a 100lb test line, ties it around a tree and leaves it.  I dunno how successful he is doing this but I've dismantled these rigs a few times.  One time he caught me doing it and came running down screaming at me.  Told him he was lucky I was the one who caught him instead of the EPOs.  He just kept repeating to me "I ALREADY PAID THE FINES.  I ALREADY PAID THE FINES."  I don't think he understood that paying the fine doesn't mean you're free to keep doing it.  :kook:

On 5/8/2018 at 9:10 AM, beerdoh said:

Most I've seen in years on the south shore. At least the birds are getting fat.

2018 Herring Run.jpg

Great to see. My kid had soccer in Weymouth the other day and there were ospreys and gulls feasting at the run there. 

1 hour ago, Budlightyear said:

Great to see. My kid had soccer in Weymouth the other day and there were ospreys and gulls feasting at the run there. 

That bridge behind the soccer field is a great place to see them. Fun to watch them try and swim up the ramp next to the ladder. They usually make it about 1/3 of the way up before running out of steam and sliding back down.