IslandSurf

I hate Etex

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

if you reapply the epoxy before the previous coat dries alcohol wipe is not necessary for a good bond

Posted (edited) · Report post

I agree. Personally  I prefer to wait till next day as I sometimes want to lightly sand out some imperfections from first coat. I will also scotchbrite the entire plug lightly too and the alcohol will get all the dust and finger prints off the plug and prepare it for the next coat, or coats, I prefer 2, will then go over the first coat very nicely. I prefer the 91% isopropyl too for the cleaning but be light handed as sometimes the first coat will miss little areas especially sharp edges and you will rub off the paint and that will piss you off, a lot. So go gently and quick with a non lint paper towel not too saturated with the alcohol. 

Edited by Steel Pulse

I am just to about to epoxy my first batch of plugs and all this information has been invaluable, Thanks to everyone for sharing their expertise and experiences. I have another question though...When sanding what grit sand paper do you prefer to use between coats of epoxy? Also SP you say you scotchbrite the whole plug, which scotchbright pads are best? Thanks for all your help in advance....You guys are the best....

I use a fine sand paper. Just knocking down some high spots and bumps. Not aggressive, very lightly. I use the grey scotchbrite again very lightly and always be careful of sharp edges because when you clean off with alcohol you can take paint off. A moist paper towel not too saturated again lightly. I like cheap paper towels too not one of those linty high end ones. 

Do not sand too much! Think Bob Ross "two hairs and some air." Like Steel Pulse said, you're just trying to knock down imperfections. 

Ive been wanting to give PPG car spray gloss a shot for awile Aage Bjerring uses it and ive always liked that finish on his plugs.I hate changing things after so many years but im not happy with flexcoat .It does weird things sometimes and a little bit will chip off and take the paint with it after a few fish on occasions.