Buckscorider

Yozuri Hydro Pencil

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Any opinions or tips on the Hydro Pencil?

I plan on using it on NJ beaches, the bay and maybe the Delaware River for stripers.

Thanks!

R1153-MT.jpg

Screenshot_20180401-093531.png

I recently purchased the bone version, and it looks/feels very well made.  The weighting system is very nice and the shape seems like it'll walk very well.  No hook upgrade needed out of the box and will be a nice alternative topwater to the Super Spook, the Sammy, Saltiga pencil, doc and Duo pencil for me.  (I fish a ton of topwater!)   

I have caught well with the Red head, Bone and black silver. Green mac, not so much. I just kind of slop it in with back and forth motion and let the rattle do it's thing.

I got the black silver. Figured its a safe bet. 

12 bucks free shipping. What the heck.

I plan to use my 1 1/2oz spinner more and thought this would he a good add to the bag.

Cary Greene from this site turned me onto this lure a couple of years ago and it has become one of my top producers- Thank you Cary!!

I cast it, give three or four quick shakes and then just start to walk the dog, stopping every so often. Stripers just seem to explode on it. A very effective and fun lure!

On 4/1/2018 at 11:48 AM, Buckscorider said:

I got the black silver. Figured its a safe bet. 

12 bucks free shipping. What the heck.

I plan to use my 1 1/2oz spinner more and thought this would he a good add to the bag.

Have you used the Hydro Pencil yet Buck?  What kind of distance do these things get ??

Thanks........

It casts very good for a 1oz topwater. Cuts through wind well.  It is only 1oz though so if you need a longer cast or with heavy wind you need to go to a different option. 

I’ve been fishing bone color and have caught many fish on it. I always give it some time when I go out. Lost it to a large bluefish a few days ago. Need to replace. 

It also glides through the water easily so it doesn’t  wear you down as fast as say a larger super strike popper. Have fun and experiment. Great lure. 

On 4/1/2018 at 9:49 AM, Cascade said:

I have caught well with the Red head, Bone and black silver. Green mac, not so much. I just kind of slop it in with back and forth motion and let the rattle do it's thing.

So you work it in like a spook? Thanks

I fish the bone colored one quite a bit. Great when smaller baits are around or on call back bay spots. I like it better retrieved like a spook than a pencil but you can do either. I put a an inline hook on the rear and crushed front barbs. Works great and casts well for a lighter smaller plug 

Hydro pencil is a great bait, very solid hardware out of the box and walks well. I've caught lots of snook, seatrout, and a few smaller tarpon on the bronze and mullet color. 

I fished a spook for a solid week down in the keys year and was glad I did. Man those fish just crush them on top. I had bought new old stocks mag darters in orange at a montauk yard sale at least 7 years ago. The pencils were also available so I got them and Also picked all his superstrikes for no more than 20 bucks. I started using them heavy this year in my spring bag and I love them in the back bays. They cast far enough for where I am fishing and have had glass water conditions get some sick blowups. 

This has been my go to top water lure since last year ... Bone ... use on my light setups (7 foot Med Tsunami  5Star/BG 3000, 9 foot St Croix Triumph Spinfisher 4500). I remove the rear treble. Was catching some nice 28-30 inch bass in the rips of Monomoy last week on this plug ... good squid imitator.

I got a couple on sale, they looked really good, cast well, swam well, float well, good hardware...

i catch way way more on a mirrolure spook, and a Heddon spook. Go figure. This is in Florida: Snook, reds and trout.