Sudsy

But not always and even then not a lot, you could mop it up with a dish towel

And when the flame comes on there's some popping and hissing

But not always

Bradford White Defender

5abe7fede2c6a_wATERHEATERDATE.jpg.9dec66a76ae14521f593f4fdffdea106.jpg

What should I look at here ?

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

The noise just started last night (that I noticed)

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Side note

The water company was by two weeks ago replacing the old meter that was located in the wall in the garage. When they did all the screens in all the faucets in the house clogged with this greenish junk. It was a week or so later that the problems with the heater started

I bought a house with an 80 gallon electric sitting basement floor. It had a minor leak that was not noticeable because it seeped into concrete.

The lower insulation was soaked. I verified it wasn't leaking at heater elements or water connections.

I replaced it with a 40 gallon sitting in an drain pan on a pedestal. 

You should be able to open lower access and look for water or wet insulation.

sou d's like bad tank leaking down the inside, I would check and make sure the pressure relief isn't leaking a little bit

how lucky am i

to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard

Shooting a coon in a 60ft tree out of a boat in the dark holding a flashlight can be tricky. ..

For ####'s and giggles I just flushed the unit out.

Water was nice and clear with the cold water feed off. Put the feed back on and blowing water through it to clear anything out. Seemed all clean as a whistle

Now it's refilled, gas back on, pilot re-lit, burner on reheating the water

Little bit of hissing at first like flame on wet metal, but not as much as earlier (iffin that actually means anything)

1 hour ago, redfishkiller said:

sou d's like bad tank leaking down the inside, I would check and make sure the pressure relief isn't leaking a little bit

Wouldn't there be some moisture in the copper pipe leading down from it ?

There isn't.......  bone dry

I need to verify, I'm not 100% positive, but it seems as though the leak occurs when the water is being used, not when it's just sitting

have you drained it recently, or ever? Have you changed the sac anode ever?

Maybe the drain spigot did not shut completely and is leaking? If you have access panels, have you felt the insulation for water?

Have you checked the supply hoses? I had a braided steel supply hose spring a leak a while back.

sounds more like a tank perforation dripping onto the burner, and you know as well as anyone that water has a funny way of ending up in strange places.

Good luck! Seems like 8 years is a pretty good run for modern appliances.

Yes, if the pressure valve is acting up, i'd think the overflow pipe would be wet inside. I don't know about the noises, but a few things to look at ....based on my own experience 2 years ago.

1) verify you overall house pressure.  I had the main pressure regulating valve on the supply act up.  Had almost 100 psi throughout the house.  That led to my pressure valve leaking

2) Associated with that, I also have a pressure bladder tank on the hot water heater.  Usually required now that most places require a valve to prevent water from the house to get back into the main supply.  That used to happen when the hot water heated up and expanded and that expanded water had to go somewhere-  Now it pushes on a bladder in one of those little expansion tanks.  When mind went bad it led to leaks, but again it was via the temp/pressure valve.

If there is enough to produce even a small puddle, you should be able to find where it's leaking....good luck

10 mins ago, rathrbefishn said:

1) verify you overall house pressure.  I had the main pressure regulating valve on the supply act up.  Had almost 100 psi throughout the house.  That led to my pressure valve leaking

Interesting - since they replaced the water meter the water has a burst to it, initially comes out with a lot more pressure than it used to when you first turn the tap, particularly on the hot water side

20 mins ago, mybeach said:

Have you changed the sac anode ever?

Sac anode ?