Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
catman

bucktails

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I'm pretty thrifty, but I was wondering if anyone uses the brown fur of the bucktail in addition to the white. Also, how do you decide how long to tie the bucktail past the bend in the hook? Do you use the full length (sometimes 3") or do you trim it? Thanks in advance for your help.

PawlieTextText

I'm new to tying but have used the dark part of colored bucktails if tying that color with a dark color; e.g. belly or chin; darker parts usually shorter - you'll get lots of answers from experienced tyers if you post in the flytying forum

I use the brown fur when tying teasers for when sand eels are around. soemtimes when you lokk at em in the water, there top is brown and the underside white. I take 5-10 strands of the brown and tie that on top of all the white. makes it look nice. as far as trimming the excess length off, I think its personal preference. how long is the bait your trying to imitate. IMO, i think its better to have things a little longer, it give the teaser/bucktails a better profile in the water.

I would definitely use the brown on the back if that's what your pattern calls for. Escpecially since most shops(including ours) around here don't carry brown bucktail.

JBJ

Betty and Nicks

------------------

Catman,

I jut started tying my own jigs, and for the amount of white bucktail that gets mixed in, I don't particularly care. Not all bait looks the same.

As far as using it on purpose, one of my teasers is a bunker imitation, which I incorporate a litle brown in. The fish seem to like it ad it would take me about ten years to run out of it. smile.gif

--Geoff

------------------

-------------------------

Team L&H

GMiller@StripersOnline.com

Catman,

There is a pattern called the cockroach, I believe it is one of Lefty Kreh's creations. You can use the brown bucktail in that pattern. I had some success with that pattern with and without the grizzly hackle last year when the shrimp were around.

Here is a picture of the pattern:

cockroach.JPG

Rui

No Geoff, I got that picture off the net somewhere... but you should see some of the Surf Candies I did over the weekend though. This guywink.gif, Bob something or otherwink.gif, at the fly fishing show on Saturday showed me how to tie em. I'll put up some pics of my flies if you like.

Rui

[This message has been edited by Rooster (edited 01-30-2001).]

Here is a tip for you on tying bucktails. When you put your head cement on make sure you work it in with you bobkin. If you are tying a big jig it is best to put the bucktail on in layers and cementing each step. I have found this to prevent the bucktail in the center from pulling out. As for the lenght of the bucktail past the shank of the hook I recommend no longer than the gap of the hook itself. This will prevent the bucktail from rapping inside the gap of your hook and twisting your leader.

Catman,

I think you were looking for info on a bucktail like the one for use. I have ties my own for some time and I save the brown for other things, like said above. I try to keep ALL of the white on the same bucktail, and as for lenth, I use the whole length. My opinion is that you really want the end as long as possible as it forms a "to a point" shape and with the more length you will get more action. I have even gone to using the shorter shank jig hooks, not only for more strength, but the tails flows better.

Mike Lang

I'll use the brown hairs of a bucktail when it fits in with the pattern I'm making. I generally use longer hairs when I tie my teasers because I prefer this type of appearance. I'll glue as I layer because it allows for a nice tight wrap.