adoboboy

Jeep Commander - Any stalling issues?

40 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I've been reading about different budget friendly 4x4 options for months and I recently stumbled upon the Jeep Commander Limited with 5.7l Hemi and I think I've found the car/truck that I really want, albeit a little pricier. I always liked the industrial look (grew up driving a defender) and jeeps in general (dad had a wagoneer) so I thought I found the perfect one. That was until I read about stalling issues that couldn't seem to be fixed. Others have reported that it was just a matter of using the right spark plugs (black top) while others reported that it was either the ignition switch or transmission fluid or a myriad of other filters. So, for Commander owners out there, if you can please help and let me know if you've had any stalling issues and if it's a good idea for a budget friendly 4x4 that won't break the bank. P.S. I don't speak car and I intend to use it as a family car as well. Thanks.

Edited by adoboboy

I can't recall any issues with mine stalling. The ignition switch was recalled, and replaced, but never knew questioned why. Check with the seller if this has been replaced. Also if fluids were maintained as scheduled. Most are synthetics, and can get costly.                                                                                                                                   Had ours since new, and can tell you sunroof maintenance is a must. 5.7 hemi?  It passes most everything but the fuel station. :o  Its a decent vehicle. My kid still drives it since he got his license,6 years ago...And yes...the fenders are still on it. :) 

1 min ago, hwsmike said:

I can't recall any issues with mine stalling. The ignition switch was recalled, and replaced, but never knew questioned why. Check with the seller if this has been replaced. Also if fluids were maintained as scheduled. Most are synthetics, and can get costly.                                                                                                                                   Had ours since new, and can tell you sunroof maintenance is a must. 5.7 hemi?  It passes most everything but the fuel station. :o  Its a decent vehicle. My kid still drives it since he got his license,6 years ago...And yes...the fenders are still on it. :) 

@hwsmike glad to hear your commander is still on the road and with fenders intact. If not the Hemi, I'm guessing at the very least the V8 4.7? or would the V6 be good enough for a drive to the shore and on the beach? 

Oh do you think I should avoid the Limited since it has all the bells and whistles which also means more bells and whistles to fix? Thanks.

My wife has a 04 G Cherokee Laredo that had a stalling problem. It turned out to be a crankcase sensor. The straight 6' aren't great MPG wise but run great.

7 mins ago, richie c said:

My wife has a 04 G Cherokee Laredo that had a stalling problem. It turned out to be a crankcase sensor. The straight 6' aren't great MPG wise but run great.

From what I read, it was the commanders and the 3rd gen GC's that had the same stalling issues. Anyway, hopefully it won't be a problem. Not really that concerned about the MPG since it won't be a daily driver and not the primary car for the family. Thanks.

I rarely see a Commander on the road anymore.  There must have been problems with them that put them in the boneyard.

16 hours ago, adoboboy said:

@hwsmike glad to hear your commander is still on the road and with fenders intact. If not the Hemi, I'm guessing at the very least the V8 4.7? or would the V6 be good enough for a drive to the shore and on the beach? 

From my own expeience, and what I've seen or read its not the heart of the beast thats the problem. The Hemi is the better choice IMO. 

6 hours ago, hwsmike said:

From my own expeience, and what I've seen or read its not the heart of the beast thats the problem. The Hemi is the better choice IMO. 

I will keep that in mind. Thanks.

The wife has an 06 limited since 08 and so far the only issue has been the ignition switch which was taken care of as a recall.it has never stalled on us .it has never been off-road but when it's time for her to up grade it will be my next beach buggy.

Posted (edited)

Were I live I see a few Commanders. From what I hear there a pretty good truck with a real 4 x 4 system. I have an 2012 Jeep liberty, I never have had a problem with her. But if you read the pro's and con's on them you would never get near one. I make sure all the maintenance is done on her. Now as far as plugs go , I use the factory one's , Some of the more exotic plugs do not give you the same performance as the stock one's. I have every thing done for her at the Jeep dealer. I use mine also as a daily driver. She is great on the beach. If you like her , go for it.

Edited by hunter123

2 hours ago, lag1996 said:

The wife has an 06 limited since 08 and so far the only issue has been the ignition switch which was taken care of as a recall.it has never stalled on us .it has never been off-road but when it's time for her to up grade it will be my next beach buggy.

Yeah, I'm still leaning towards getting a commander, it seems all cars have their own problems. Thanks.

2 hours ago, hunter123 said:

Were I live I see a few Commanders. From what I hear there a pretty good truck with a real 4 x 4 system. I have an 2012 Jeep liberty, I never have had a problem with her. But if you read the pro's and con's on them you would never get near one. I make sure all the maintenance is done on her. Now as far as plugs go , I use the factory one's , Some of the more exotic plugs do not give you the same performance as the stock one's. I have every thing done for her at the Jeep dealer. I use mine also as a daily driver. She is great on the beach. If you like her , go for it.

From what I've read and heard it seems thats the most important part, using OEM parts as much as possible. Thank you.

There is a very long thread on jeep forum about that stalling issue. And it comes down to using the right Champion plugs, get them from the dealer, not the parts store version. 16 plugs and it takes a while to do. I also had the ig switch recall, that was not for stalling but because if you are tall and bumped your knee on it, you could switch it off. Mine had a quirk where the blinkers and heater fan cut out that was also related to the ig switch, the recall fixed that too. Other than that, very few problems with mine. At or around 100 K miles I replaced the starter, alternator and front diff bushings. The rest has been fine the Hemi pulls like a freight train. Best Jeep powertrain ever. 

1 hour ago, LouC said:

There is a very long thread on jeep forum about that stalling issue. And it comes down to using the right Champion plugs, get them from the dealer, not the parts store version. 16 plugs and it takes a while to do. I also had the ig switch recall, that was not for stalling but because if you are tall and bumped your knee on it, you could switch it off. Mine had a quirk where the blinkers and heater fan cut out that was also related to the ig switch, the recall fixed that too. Other than that, very few problems with mine. At or around 100 K miles I replaced the starter, alternator and front diff bushings. The rest has been fine the Hemi pulls like a freight train. Best Jeep powertrain ever. 

Yeah, I tried to read the really long thread on the jeep forum, which was what got me concerned. As far as all the other trucks I've seen (in my price range), I really love the look of the commander. The challenge will be finding one in good condition. It's hard enough to find a decent base model, finding a decent condition and priced Limited would be tough. I already started looking and the closest one is about 100 miles from me. This is going to be fun and will keep me preoccupied for the next several months. Thanks.