SupaFly209

Delta Wood Bombers in the surf

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Anyone use these lures in the surf? How well do they do? I know in the delta that they’re one of the go to topwater lures. Wanted to get everyone’s opinion and experience. Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are over priced versions of sliders that have been used in the surf for years.  Here are some equivalents:

 

Bernzy Howdy

Winch Surface Hopper

Lordship and 24/7 also make something similar for 1/3 the price...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I bought a delta bomber once for the surf when I first started fishing and didn’t know any better. No disrespect to the lure and I’m sure they’ve caught plenty of fish in the delta but for the surf there’s so many other options that are really good and ALOT cheaper. You can do your own digging on this forum and find all the popular top water lure for the surf or just look at what other ppl at the beach are using.

Edited by gantz88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the bomber a slider or a spook? I looked on youtube. It looks a like a spook? 

 

I think you would better just using a zara magnum spook in the surf and if you like it try maybe some bigger spooks. 

 

Spooks can be hard to work and not useful everywhere. $60 way too much money to lay down to dip your toe in that pool. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Otshawytsha said:

Is the bomber a slider or a spook? I looked on youtube. It looks a like a spook? 

 

I think you would better just using a zara magnum spook in the surf and if you like it try maybe some bigger spooks. 

 

Spooks can be hard to work and not useful everywhere. $60 way too much money to lay down to dip your toe in that pool. 

 

A true "spook" type plug has an off center line tie (see pic).  BTW, I totally stole that picture from Winchmaster.  :D

winchspooks.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the local plug makers make nice plugs IMHO, but, one in particular I like and I have 1 of 20 I think that was built is my pencil pooper in oriole cookie and corn kernel, note the strategically place corn kernels and the natural flowing digested oriole cookie coloring one must have had to get real close to a sample to get it right, this bad boy will never see the water because I wouldn't want any of you to get E. Coli it hangs in my office proudly...... 

IMG_2705.jpg

IMG_2706.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I found some very old looking wooden poppers at the flea market. There don't seem to have any marking since the paint is pretty much fading. Any idea how I can find the make?

Edited by boxingchef89
Damn auto correct

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, boxingchef89 said:

I found some very old looking wooden poppers at the flea market. There don't seem to have any marking since the paint is pretty much fading. Any idea how I can find the make?

Post pictures either or here or Tackle Collectors forums and ask

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never did hook a tarpon, I am jealous. Tried on my honeymoon, of all places, while the newly wed wife was having a mud bath I opted out of in Cocoa Beach Florida, but was over my budget for a guide (hey those weddings, rings, & honeymoon ain't cheap), so opted for DIY seatrout instead, did catch a few keepers, but all were released back. Was fishing one of the rivers there in a dry lightning storm, but the local rastas I was fishing with (that gave me a few of their live baits and offered me things I still don't understand) didn't seem to mind the lightning striking the water in front of them, so neither did I. True story. I also learned that not every state has F&G regulations as strict as CA, 1 page type written, when I asked for the "reg book" at Walmart they looked crazy at me and handed me what I thought were the supplemental regs just for that year! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2018 at 10:07 AM, Double_D said:

All the local plug makers make nice plugs IMHO, but, one in particular I like and I have 1 of 20 I think that was built is my pencil pooper in oriole cookie and corn kernel, note the strategically place corn kernels and the natural flowing digested oriole cookie coloring one must have had to get real close to a sample to get it right, this bad boy will never see the water because I wouldn't want any of you to get E. Coli it hangs in my office proudly...... 

IMG_2705.jpg

IMG_2706.jpg

 

I really should have saved me one of those.  Oh well, when the shop is back up, that is the first thing I'm making again. :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 mins ago, Surf Hunter said:

 

I really should have saved me one of those.  Oh well, when the shop is back up, that is the first thing I'm making again. :D

 

I'm sure Paladin or put_em-back can supply you with a sample 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.