pclassic

Kastmasters and other spoon.

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I'm generally pretty ambivalent about using swivels but with metals I prefer to use them.  I generally go main line-swivel-leader-ta clip-lure.

24 mins ago, genu said:

The way I do it, just clip it onto the ta clip at the end of your leader and you are gtg

29542219_10156240907628188_7440282497531838961_n.jpg

genu,

I think that's a better way to do it than the way I've been doing it. I've been using snap swivels, but they show quite a bit of wear after a short time. Thanks for the great tip.

Getting the split ring onto a metal with a wide gap can be a pain sometimes but just use one big enough and its not a big deal. NP, tight lines.

16 mins ago, genu said:

Getting the split ring onto a metal with a wide gap can be a pain sometimes but just use one big enough and its not a big deal. NP, tight lines.

Thanks again. My local bait shop always stocks a good range of split ring sizes, so I shouldn't have any trouble matching split rings to the lures. I've often wondered why the Kastmasters don't just come from the factory with split rings.

I replaced the hooks on some big Krocs, have never found a split ring big enough to avoid distortion from the thickness of the Kroc metal.

6 hours ago, pclassic said:

Okay, direct knot from my leader to the kastmaster or should I use a swivel?

Thanks

The shape of the attachment point of a kastmaster does not leand itself to tying direct. Best use a snap. I am not a big fan of direct tie with the exception of a jig. 

Posted (edited)

Just curious. I bought kastmaster clones. they swim sideways and the hook point is on one side or the other unless you add a second split ring . do your fish get hooked in the side of the mouth or bottom lip? Do you miss alot of hook-ups? I bought 2 oz for surf fishing or casting bay for salmon or trolling. I have been tieing bucktails to single siwash hooks have not fished them yet waiting for springers still early.Most people on oregon coast throw spinners or bait. Trolling herring.

Edited by wolfer

Posted (edited)

On 3/26/2018 at 11:21 AM, genu said:

Kastmaster and hopkins are pretty easy Charflie Graves can be a pain because they are thick.

Using 7H Rasco (not Rosco) split rings and an HTP split ring pliers makes rigging a Charlie graves no problem. Search this forum for the thread on turning split rings inside out and back to get rid of any stretch/distortion and the Charlie Graves tins will become one of your favorite weapons. Once treated this way you can use any clip style you choose. Charlie Graves red label  are  block tin and ride higher in the water column. They come in the same shape and style # as the black label chrome variety. The only difference is the weight. Ex.-a 3 oz. chrome finish weighs 2oz. in tin. If you have open Charlie Graves and don't remember which variety look at the brass eye. If it is brass colored it is the block tin variant. If it is chrome in color it is the chrome plated heavy (as compared to block tin) deep running variety.

Marc

Edited by mml4

I never use a swivel with a spoon or spinner, but with larger kastmasters, 1/2 oz and up, I always put a split ring. Ive had issues in the past with them breaking off at the knot, which has never happened once i started using a split ring