jjdbike

Shad in the DE river?

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Hey evreyone,

I haven’t shad fished in a while. I fished the DE once for my 1st time in Easton. I really got luckey and had an ablsolute blast. Latter tried below the Connewingo in the Susque & also had a blast, especially w/ a fly rod. Then the crowds got bad. By bad I mean low class, don’t want to leave my truck unattended bad. I gave it up for decades.

I’d like to give it a try again. I’m a teacher & I’m off for Spring break starting this Thurs through next week.

I was interested in giving it a try again. I can imagine the water is high & cold & it looks like we’re expecting rain again at the end of this week. Will that make conditions terrible? Is it too early for action in the New Hope area? Is there any access from shore in that area? Is there any chance of “bycatch” while shad fishing in that area? If so, what?

Any help or input is greatly appreciated! PM’s preferred.

Thanks in advance!

JD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to social media they did good yesterday above Trenton. 

 

The river is down below 10 feet, which makes it wadeable. The turbidity is down in the 1s and 2s which means is pretty clean. Temp yesterday was 43 to 44. 

 

I fished yesterday for smallmouth but drove by a popular shad spot and there was 6 to 8 guys on land plus a boat, so I'm assuming they weren't there to practice casting. 

 

You should have a shot at smallmouth and walleye in the same areas as the shad. Especially if you go to the spot that I'll PM to you. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, PhilCVG said:

According to social media they did good yesterday above Trenton. 

 

The river is down below 10 feet, which makes it wadeable. The turbidity is down in the 1s and 2s which means is pretty clean. Temp yesterday was 43 to 44. 

 

I fished yesterday for smallmouth but drove by a popular shad spot and there was 6 to 8 guys on land plus a boat, so I'm assuming they weren't there to practice casting. 

 

You should have a shot at smallmouth and walleye in the same areas as the shad. Especially if you go to the spot that I'll PM to you. 

 

 

How did ya make out? See Cosmo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shad are around.

 

Water was high, and fast, and not very wade-able last weekend. Did see some shad pulled, and a gentleman claim to have caught a tiger trout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got them good on Good Friday, and really good on that Sunday. Water was cold, and about 2' higher on Sunday. Clear though which matters most for Shad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2018 at 3:19 PM, ridenfish said:

Got them good on Good Friday, and really good on that Sunday. Water was cold, and about 2' higher on Sunday. Clear though which matters most for Shad.

Next year we should hook up for a trip.  I didn't realize you were up that far.  

Check out this video.  Its not me.

https://youtu.be/tN8EqRysGzg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 mins ago, Harf said:

Next year we should hook up for a trip.  I didn't realize you were up that far.  

Check out this video.  Its not me.

https://youtu.be/tN8EqRysGzg

 

I was way north of there.  Killed them again Sunday afternoon.  It’s been a great season so far.  Wish I could hit it during the week.  

31C92552-B813-41BD-9DAD-B434BF374EC9.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:36 PM, Sheisty said:

Shad are around.

 

Water was high, and fast, and not very wade-able last weekend. Did see some shad pulled, and a gentleman claim to have caught a tiger trout.

What's a tiger trout??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:17 AM, Sheisty said:

It's a hybrid cross between, a brown & brook trout.

Thanx,  I am not a fresh water fisher, yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pa stocked tiger trout for a couple years many years ago

 

They abandoned that program because it wasn't cost effective like they thought and are no longer raising it.

 

With that said a guy I work has caught 3 this year in Pa creeks so it's completely possible for one to have made its way into the delaware

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.