dannpakk

Any luck out there

Rate this topic

154 posts in this topic

Holy crap I made the mistake of tying to beat the crowds at Sandy Point yesterday.  At 5:30am there was a line of cars half a mile long on 50E.  Park Police directed the line up Whitehall Road a ways too.  I bailed and headed to an alternative, undeveloped spot, where there were zero people.  What a contrast!  Had my 7yo with me and we got 3 eater size perch (which we returned) in about an hour of fishing.  Good stuff, it means the perch are finally starting to do what they should have been doing a month ago, ha!  Hopefully I can slay next time...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello I recently joined to get better at fishing and learn the lay of the land. I grew up in Maryland and as a youngster I spent many days boating, fishing, and crabbing with my dad around the Kent Island area. I had not fished in many years and recently renewed my interest in the sport along with introducing my kids to the sport. The past several weeks I've been gearing up and trying to learn as much as I can.  Most recently I've been fishing Soloman's and Kent Island. I hope to contribute more in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Nice video @dannpakk looks like you guys are killing it out there! 

 

5 hours ago, mathman said:

Holy crap I made the mistake of tying to beat the crowds at Sandy Point yesterday.  At 5:30am there was a line of cars half a mile long on 50E.  Park Police directed the line up Whitehall Road a ways too.  I bailed and headed to an alternative, undeveloped spot, where there were zero people.  What a contrast!  Had my 7yo with me and we got 3 eater size perch (which we returned) in about an hour of fishing.  Good stuff, it means the perch are finally starting to do what they should have been doing a month ago, ha!  Hopefully I can slay next time...

Yeah I debated going there myself, but the thoughts of what that crowd would be like sent us down near CCliffs. If the perch were eating size I would have brought those bad boys home for a couple sammiches. I love fried perch sammiches. But we didn’t do so well at the cliffs. I caught more crabs wading the slack tide out than some guys were handlining. Scooped a baby flounder up thinking it was a nice crab by the way it was moving on the sand. Little man and his newly made friends were looking for shark teeth fossils and got a kick out of it. There were a ton of smalls, small Sallys and a bunch of doublers, but not enough large males to make firing the pot up worth the effort. 

 

4 hours ago, drumsfield said:

Hello I recently joined to get better at fishing and learn the lay of the land. I grew up in Maryland and as a youngster I spent many days boating, fishing, and crabbing with my dad around the Kent Island area. I had not fished in many years and recently renewed my interest in the sport along with introducing my kids to the sport. The past several weeks I've been gearing up and trying to learn as much as I can.  Most recently I've been fishing Soloman's and Kent Island. I hope to contribute more in the future.

Welcome! Everyone in this thread has a good bit of experience and can help you with almost anything you’ll need. Just keep in mind the spot burning clause in mentioning locations. We try to keep it to acronyms just because it’s viewable by the public and we don’t want to advertise our hard work and have the spots swarmed. I like how this has become the unofficial fishing report thread for a few of us because it keeps the heat off our finds as well. Good luck out there and let us know how you do!

Edited by chessie_yaker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mathman said:

Welcome!  Any luck at KI?

Saw tons of bait fish, peanut bunker an bay anchovy which makes me think there are probably bigger fish out there. Fished last Saturday with the kids from about 6am to 10am before the temps hit 90 then headed out. Got a couple of bites but didn't pull anything in before heading out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 mins ago, chessie_yaker said:

Welcome! Everyone in this thread has a good bit of experience and can help you with almost anything you’ll need. Just keep in mind the spot burning clause in mentioning locations. We try to keep it to acronyms just because it’s viewable by the public and we don’t want to advertise our hard work and have the spots swarmed. I like how this has become the unofficial fishing report thread for a few of us because it keeps the heat off our finds as well. Good luck out there and let us know how you do!

Yep totally understand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, drumsfield said:

Saw tons of bait fish, peanut bunker an bay anchovy which makes me think there are probably bigger fish out there. Fished last Saturday with the kids from about 6am to 10am before the temps hit 90 then headed out. Got a couple of bites but didn't pull anything in before heading out. 

Welcome to the forums!! There is so much bait in the bay right now. In Wachapreague at the moment and drove by the bay bridge/cambridge. I could see insane amounts of baitfish in the bay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dannpakk said:

Welcome to the forums!! There is so much bait in the bay right now. In Wachapreague at the moment and drove by the bay bridge/cambridge. I could see insane amounts of baitfish in the bay

Yeah there is. There were swarms of chovies and peanut bunker rippling the top of the water and darting around my legs at the cliffs. Something was chasing them a few times just couldn’t hook up 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, chessie_yaker said:

 I like how this has become the unofficial fishing report thread for a few of us because it keeps the heat off our finds as well.

Me too.  I understand a lot of reporting has moved to FB.  I'm not a FB guy so I really appreciate the posts here.  Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mathman said:

Me too.  I understand a lot of reporting has moved to FB.  I'm not a FB guy so I really appreciate the posts here.  Cheers!

Yeah I’m really not a fb guy either. I took a year break from it and just recently returned. After cutting my friends list by about half due to people that wanted to regurgitate nonsense in order to fit into a certain political group I find it more tolerable, but I’m still not a fan. At least here we can share what we want in an organized fashion, like me sticking to fishing reports and chatting about local fishing in this thread, cooking and gardening in another, etc. I also like how the few guys that are active in here seem to be on the same level with everything and that just makes sharing info and chatting more enjoyable. Good group in here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fished for perch on the south river last evening.  Got two (enough for a sammich) on spinners.  There were so many schools of peanuts it was amazing.  Only saw them spray a few times.  The bite was hella slow and the perch I caught had empty bellies.  ??

 

I might have done better had I moved around more.  Next time I'll be more mobile. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its crazy how much information is on FB compared to SOL. Those on FB are much more willing to let you know where the fish are. Perch are out deep. If you rent a small skiff from sandy point and launch to one of the pilings, plenty of large perch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the looks of it most of the rocks are being caught on boat at LP and SP... pier fishing is a hard life. Spent the day with the kid on KI caught some baitfish killie and peanut bunker other than that nada for us. But some of the other guys on the pier pickup up some baby rock and a keeper perch on the east side casting over the ledge. Later in the evening we went to the narrows, we managed a single toadfish using bunker while the other guys pulled in some catfish and perch using bloodworms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.