Any luck out there

Rate this topic

dannpakk

We hit Roman on Saturday. Caught the late day tide change and sat till about 1am. Had 4 large horseshoe crabs in the traps, which the little guy enjoyed playing with and the neighbors got a kick out of, but wasn’t the crabs I was hoping for. A buddy hooked a 30-36” wingspan slate that he caught with his surf rod for about 10 minutes. Got it to the pier and it snapped at the knot. He enjoyed the fight. Only had one palm sized perch landed, but it was a relaxing evening minus the new comers crossing lines. I swear some of it has to be on purpose because they cast just fine after you cut their line if it’s a bad snag. After a couple reties they get the hint. 

Glad the rest of you had you had a good weekend fishing out there. I’ll probably take a break for a week or two till we head down near Crisfield. 

3 mins ago, chessie_yaker said:

We hit Roman on Saturday. Caught the late day tide change and sat till about 1am. Had 4 large horseshoe crabs in the traps, which the little guy enjoyed playing with and the neighbors got a kick out of, but wasn’t the crabs I was hoping for. A buddy hooked a 30-36” wingspan slate that he caught with his surf rod for about 10 minutes. Got it to the pier and it snapped at the knot. He enjoyed the fight. Only had one palm sized perch landed, but it was a relaxing evening minus the new comers crossing lines. I swear some of it has to be on purpose because they cast just fine after you cut their line if it’s a bad snag. After a couple reties they get the hint. 

Glad the rest of you had you had a good weekend fishing out there. I’ll probably take a break for a week or two till we head down near Crisfield. 

If you were in the front of the pier, there was a visible pod of 12-16 inch shad feeding off the bottom. I tried throwing some micro shiners with no luck. Great to hear that everyone enjoyed the waters this weekend. I plan to go to cape cod next weekend and will keep everyone posted. 

42 mins ago, dannpakk said:

If you were in the front of the pier, there was a visible pod of 12-16 inch shad feeding off the bottom. I tried throwing some micro shiners with no luck. Great to hear that everyone enjoyed the waters this weekend. I plan to go to cape cod next weekend and will keep everyone posted. 

Na we were on the north side about half way to the T. My son was gettting bites, but nothing committed except for a peanut that I think he snagged. The hooking was questionable, but I let him have the satisfaction. 

I’ll be in north NJ in a couple weeks getting some surf action in. Have a great time and good luck on the cape. Let us know how you do 

Incoming tide at KN was dead.  Sharp contrast with last week's action.  One fisher caught short rock and perch on clams.  I threw plastics and spinners, no bites.  Headed over to GH creek boat launch for a very slow perch bite, got three between 9 and 10 inches, two throwbacks.

13 mins ago, mathman said:

Incoming tide at KN was dead.  Sharp contrast with last week's action.  One fisher caught short rock and perch on clams.  I threw plastics and spinners, no bites.  Headed over to GH creek boat launch for a very slow perch bite, got three between 9 and 10 inches, two throwbacks.

Here is a simple diagram of how I was casting. I found that the fish were stacked on the third/fourth piling. It is quite a cast and would have to be able to lure out the bass under the bridge. 

Water is still looking rough with all the debris floating down.

Untitled.png

• 1 month later...

I fish KN as well and that’s about the only good from shore spot near my house besides SP. Not looking for a spot burn but if anyone could point me in the direction of some places within 1-1 /2 hours from Annapolis that I could do some striper fishing from shore it would be appreciated. 

• 4 months later...

Finally found some relief from the winter doldrums: a limit of freshly stocked rainbows from a pond in PG county.  There was no surface action and the bite was pretty slow.  The approach of random casting a spinner and hoping for the best yielded two fish early, then after about 90 minutes of nothing a cast to unlikely nearshore shallow water got a third and better quality fish.  Figured that one got separated from the school and was thus panicked and more likely to feed (like my dimestore fish psychology?) so I switched up my strategy to target lost fish, focusing on unlikely spots. It quickly paid off to complete my limit.  Five ranbows in the 10-13" class, no palominos this time.  Yay first fish of 2019!    

All you need is a 4 lb test outfit and a few gold and silver spinners and spoons.  Prepare for elegant and fatigue-free entertainment!  I'll probably hit the middle river to try for those slime darts you got into a couple weeks ago...

Edited by mathman