dannpakk

Any luck out there

144 posts in this topic

Anyone having any luck out there with rockfish on surf? Only really had reports of the perch run 

Nada. I'm fishing Northern Va. Went out to Point Lookout on Sunday. No luck. I think I commented on your FB comment earlier today.

:). I personally like to use the forum, but it seems like MD folks are leaning towards FB for their info. Its good to hear that I'm not the only soul out there on this part of forums.

Plenty of perch running upstream Choptank river this past week. Take a light tackle rod and some friends/kids--you are looking at plenty of drag peeling action + fried perch sandwiches :hooked:

Sandy point held a handful of <10'' resident striped bass 1.5 weeks ago. Was good just being out there and dusting off the gear.

Hopefully, others will open up to their reports. 

received_10155478655216527.jpeg

See I’m the opposite never on Facebook but am on here often lol. I may get out on the susky weekend after easter to check the river and throw a couple lures. I’m sure they’re there already but I don’t want to catch any rocks intentionally yet seeing as the big girls are probably getting ready to lay. 

Third weekend from now is early trophy... taking advantage of it at all? I’ll be on the tangier with a couple friends on yaks hoping for a few tows from some monsters. Bringing some tackle for blues too just in case. 

Nice bucket o perch by the way. I don’t head over to the es enough...I need to put the chop tank on the list though. Waiting for the run to be in full swing on this shore. Should be soon...the trout weren’t biting the other day and I need to fish lol. This winter has seemed much longer than the last couple for some reason. 

Hope to see you there this weekend. I may head towards the lighthouse at Elk. The big mommas seem like they are still running up. Its odd that I was out the day before the below linked youtube video and skunked out on the outgoing tide. Outgoing tide had 5mph winds and ~52 degrees which was excellent conditions. The day after was 10-15mph winds and ~48 degrees. 

I wish I could but I won’t be able to make it to the water this weekend. This week will be trout on the gunpowder and next weekend is either the susky flats or dam. Gotta make it out on the yak now that the warmer weather is finally starting to come around. 

Got some fishing done yesterday at Sandy point. No trophies but caught 4 shorts all around the 18'' range. Air temps hit the upper 60s and water was very calm. Bass were only biting blood worm. Incoming water was warmer than the ougoing, but both produced. 

MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1522349280144.jpg_1522349282131.jpeg

1 min ago, kurazy kracka said:

you probably won't find many guys openly posting and talking about a striper bite right now

Agreed, trying to open that up and flip that around. Its always been super quiet on this side of the forums :worms:. Odd how fishing has become such a secrecy, but most fishermen are just trying to have a good time (I just hope to knowledge share and produce more responsible fishermen). 

58 mins ago, dannpakk said:

Agreed, trying to open that up and flip that around. Its always been super quiet on this side of the forums :worms:. Odd how fishing has become such a secrecy, but most fishermen are just trying to have a good time (I just hope to knowledge share and produce more responsible fishermen). 

I think the biggest issue is the lack of access to good productive water, most of the bay is private property so when you do find those areas that hold fish and produce that last thing you want to do is let people in on it and have that spot ruined or overrun with idiots.

1 min ago, kurazy kracka said:

I think the biggest issue is the lack of access to good productive water, most of the bay is private property so when you do find those areas that hold fish and produce that last thing you want to do is let people in on it and have that spot ruined or overrun with idiots.

I slightly disagree. Spots do get ruined by overfishing but most of the bay is being ruined by dredging all the natural habitat that existed. I'd rather see fishermen using hook and sinker (charters), but the real damage is done from all the pound nets with monster bass belly up. Teaching all the googans will only promote legislative support to stop all the damage done by commercial in the bay (specifically netting and dredging).

Its crazy how I can remember how there were bright green sea grass in much of the bay with lighter blue water 20 years ago. You could surf fish from any state park, catch and release monsters from shore

4 hours ago, kurazy kracka said:

. . . that is Sandy Point for goodness sake . . .

Posted (edited)

33 mins ago, JoelJ said:

. . . that is Sandy Point for goodness sake . . .

I'm not talking about SPSP, beach is ok for soaking bait and about it. 

Edited by kurazy kracka

Nice catches! I can’t wait to get out and start pulling some rocks out of the water. 

I hear and see both sides to the burn argument. Finding new spots to fish is a challenge if you have no input from others, but the few do ruin it for all. Some guys do keep entire areas a secret as if they have rights to the public property they fish, but even as ridiculous as that seems it’s neccesary to protect the areas from being, like kurazy said, overrun and ruined by idiots.  I don’t think you’d have to worry about many SOL members, but these threads can be found through google so protecting the good spots is tough to do in threads without unsung acronyms and hints only locals would get. Shoot guys messages and I’m sure they’d be more open to sharing when they get to know you. 

Thats a shame. Never understood the reason of stressing out prespawn trophy bass holding millions of eggs.:thumbd: