Fredrick

Fly fishing for snakeheads

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Fredrick said:

Nice flies how do they fish ? 

No idea.  They look great and I know John/Rooster Custom does well using his here in Mass.  I know he sells a lot

of those frogs.

I follow both guys they give me idead for non standard striper patterns.  I dont largemouth fish at all though the first 15 years of my fishing life that was my focus.  These days I do small stream trout and night stripers in ocean exclusively.  Maybe as my kids get older will get back into ponds and lakes again.

If you like deer hair checkout the Pat Cohen's Hot Butt Toad or Frog Legged Slider. If you like tying with deer hair these will keep you busy for a while. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Those Rooster frogs are so nice. I just finished up a fly swap with John. His work is clean and durable. A few more weeks and I’ll be dragging them across the cabbage for snek! I am moving back up north this fall, so a snake on the fly MUST be checked off the bucket list!

D8C97E77-92DD-44F7-AB66-D684C3693DBE.jpeg

8D9B3EC9-5AB8-4FD3-BCEB-21D2227F86F5.jpeg

Edited by Matt7082

7 hours ago, Matt7082 said:

Those Rooster frogs are so nice. I just finished up a fly swap with John. His work is clean and durable. A few more weeks and I’ll be dragging them across the cabbage for snek! I am moving back up north this fall, so a snake on the fly MUST be checked off the bucket list!

D8C97E77-92DD-44F7-AB66-D684C3693DBE.jpeg

8D9B3EC9-5AB8-4FD3-BCEB-21D2227F86F5.jpeg

If you are going to be moving adjacent to the Potomac River area feel free to shoot me a DM.  When I was growing up snakeheads had not established themselves there yet, but the same shallow water bass fishing areas I used to prowl are now snakehead territory.  I keep in touch with two friends from high school who hunt snakes on a conventional gear with kayaks.  I can point you in the right direction.

1 hour ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

If you are going to be moving adjacent to the Potomac River area feel free to shoot me a DM.  When I was growing up snakeheads had not established themselves there yet, but the same shallow water bass fishing areas I used to prowl are now snakehead territory.  I keep in touch with two friends from high school who hunt snakes on a conventional gear with kayaks.  I can point you in the right direction.

I appreciate it! I actually don’t live far from the Potomac now. That’s where I normally fish. I too have been targeting them with baitcasting gear from the kayak. I am moving to RI this year. I need to hit a snake on the fly from the kayak this year!  

On 3/25/2018 at 0:57 PM, BrianBM said:

Most states don't want them released alive. They fight well enough, or so I've read, and they're a popular food fish. They're all over Florida and spreading North steadily.  I believe they've reached the Potomac River basin.  How far west they have gotten, I don't know.

I've heard they are in central park in manhattan.

On 5/7/2018 at 9:17 AM, crunch said:

My snakehead experience in Thailand is that small ones hit to almost anything they see but perhaps a fly which makes more water noise gets their attention to come see. Obviously bigger snakeheads are smarter.

Esa

my understanding is that if it's a breeding season they are extremely aggressive and will hit anything that comes near their young.  I don't know when that is exactly but it seems these things wouldn't be the pickiest fish.