Fredrick

Fly fishing for snakeheads

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, smath said:

Non-native and invasive are different situations. A non-native species may not threaten the balance, whereas an invasive species can be very damaging. As I posted above, New York State considers the Snakehead "injurious wildlife." As a fisherman interested in conserving our resources, I take that designation seriously.

9 hours ago, CrappieAttitude said:

They are in Maryland - state law requires them to be killed and not returned to the water.

So I just checked both Maryland and New York's policies on Northern Snakeheads and it is illegal to transport the fish alive and its not illegal to release the fish in where it was caught but they recommend you kill it . On either states websites it does not say it is unlawful or against the law to release the fish. The verbage makes it seem that way and they wrote it with the intention of the public thinking it was against the law to catch and release a northern snakehead . At this point it would be like trying to clean the sand off the beach in my area not sure how it is in NY or Arkansas but my area its pointless or hardhead to think it will help. So I highly recommend you give it a try they are a blast to catch and good eating .   

7 hours ago, thaistick said:

They are abosutly great table fare and ferocious on any tackle...tastes and texture like our sea bass..

Bottom picture is not the one I ate I like them on the small side

Screenshot_20180326-110601.jpg

Screenshot_20180326-111626.jpg

Nice fish I plan on taking a trip to catch some giants one day. But first I plan on taking a trip to Florida to get my fly rod bent on some Bullseye Snakeheads 

Edited by Fredrick

Good question.  Fredrick, if your snakehead ties suddenly appear in the Fly BST, it might occur to me that you're advertising in this Forum to sell stuff in another one.  That would be naughty.

13 hours ago, Mike West said:

Why are you blurring out what you caught them on?

I actually hadn't noticed that the first time I watched, I went back again and indeed he is making a deliberate attempt to censor the fly he's using. It's not perfect. I'm pretty sure he's not using a fly at all. I'm pretty sure it's a hollow bodied frog designed for conventional tackle, with the belly weight removed. Maybe to keep the purists from getting upset? Not sure why. Doesn't make any difference to me what people use on their fly rods, so long as they're not snagging fish intentionally. That's morally wrong.

3 hours ago, RedGreen said:

I actually hadn't noticed that the first time I watched, I went back again and indeed he is making a deliberate attempt to censor the fly he's using. It's not perfect. I'm pretty sure he's not using a fly at all. I'm pretty sure it's a hollow bodied frog designed for conventional tackle, with the belly weight removed. Maybe to keep the purists from getting upset? Not sure why. Doesn't make any difference to me what people use on their fly rods, so long as they're not snagging fish intentionally. That's morally wrong.

People have been trying to get ahold of my snakehead flies and I assure you they are flies and typically people always accuse me of using regular lures because I’m not ready to share yet .  Would of been allot easier to cut out the fly parts completely out but I was laughing the whole time as I was making the fly blurred in the video. My second video I completely took the fly out . 

Edited by Fredrick

I see. Interesting. I'll respect your choice to keep it private. However, I must say that it doesn't look like a typical deer hair bug. Looks a lot smoother than spun and trimmed deer hair. Very interesting.

If the man has a trade secret, it's his to keep or share as he wishes.  If he wants to hereafter sell them in Fly BST, that's OK so long as I don't notice any connection between that and further videos here. 

Anyone experiment with tying their own attracter patterns for them?  I've heard from a local that snakeheads are showing up in a tributary of the tidal Delaware on the PA side. Was thinking about trying to get back into some of the nasty stuff and pull them out.

My snakehead experience in Thailand is that small ones hit to almost anything they see but perhaps a fly which makes more water noise gets their attention to come see. Obviously bigger snakeheads are smarter.

Esa

NJ verbiage. 

Anglers must destroy these species if encountered while fishing and are asked to submit specimen(s) to Bureau of Freshwater Fisheries personnel for verification. Fish and Wildlife's fisheries biologists can be reached at 908-236-2118 for northern New Jersey, and at 609-259-6964 for southern New Jersey.

On 3/26/2018 at 11:57 AM, PhillyHillBilly said:

It's a pretty subjective label isn't it?

I think its both subjectivity along with quantitative data. Obviously invasive vs non-native can be subjective just look at brown trout but at this stage with all the stocking of rainbow trout - just how natural is that? 

But I think there is a line that is crossed by stuff like snakehead, carp, Japanese shore crabs, and even those tree beetles. They don't allow for a healthy ecosystem because they are just so much better than the native species.

On 5/7/2018 at 9:17 AM, crunch said:

My snakehead experience in Thailand is that small ones hit to almost anything they see but perhaps a fly which makes more water noise gets their attention to come see. Obviously bigger snakeheads are smarter.

Esa

I have heard they're a little cagey here in places.  I know theres a trib to the Delaware River that holds them back in the weeds.  I am debating how much time I should spend chasing them.  Was going to try some zonker streamers with bead heads on the first go around unless there is another recommended approach.