Fly fishing for snakeheads

Rate this topic

Fredrick

Haven't posted on here in a while but thought I would share something that I have come to enjoy last summer . Here are two videos I made fly fishing for snakeheads if you haven't tried it yet I highly recommend you do .

https://youtu.be/tKsVIrQ5ZEo

" Rule #1 Fish where the fish are, Rule # 2 Fish where the fish are ."  Jack Gartside. 

Most states don't want them released alive. They fight well enough, or so I've read, and they're a popular food fish. They're all over Florida and spreading North steadily.  I believe they've reached the Potomac River basin.  How far west they have gotten, I don't know.

They’re established in the Patomac watershed, and I believe they’ve been found in the Susquehanna.

If you don’t want to keep them for conservation reasons, apparently they taste great. Snakehead goes for high dollar in DC. 

The Northern Snakehead is in the freshwater tidal area of the Delaware River Potomac watershed and in the Susquehanna river below the Connowingo dam . These fish were caught in the Delaware river drainage. They put largemouth to shame with the way they fight and hit lures . I like to fish but I don't particularly eat allot of fish and I only kill what I eat although I have to talk to a few people who have eaten them and they say they are tasty . I haven't fished NY but I have caught them in the states of Delaware, Pennsylvania and New Jersey and none of these states have a law that requires you to kill the fish but they do recommend it . 

" Rule #1 Fish where the fish are, Rule # 2 Fish where the fish are ."  Jack Gartside. 

13 hours ago, Fredrick said:

The Northern Snakehead is in the freshwater tidal area of the Delaware River Potomac watershed and in the Susquehanna river below the Connowingo dam . These fish were caught in the Delaware river drainage. They put largemouth to shame with the way they fight and hit lures . I like to fish but I don't particularly eat allot of fish and I only kill what I eat although I have to talk to a few people who have eaten them and they say they are tasty . I haven't fished NY but I have caught them in the states of Delaware, Pennsylvania and New Jersey and none of these states have a law that requires you to kill the fish but they do recommend it . 

wow I would have believed you were down south somewhere. That is one swampy area. 

If a man has no plan for the future, any road will take him there. 

In Pa as well.  The state's stance to kill them is ignorant.  They're here now and killing a fish because the state asked you to is ineffective and absurd IMO.  Many fish species were invasive to an area at one point or another, nature will find it's balance.  Enjoy the new angling opportunity.

4 mins ago, PhillyHillBilly said:

In Pa as well.  The state's stance to kill them is ignorant.  They're here now and killing a fish because the state asked you to is ineffective and absurd IMO.  Many fish species were invasive to an area at one point or another, nature will find it's balance.  Enjoy the new angling opportunity.

Yea, the cat is sort of out the bag at this point, but does that mean we should give up? Rhetorical question

Every day above ground and on the water is a great one

2 hours ago, PhillyHillBilly said:

Non-native and invasive are different situations. A non-native species may not threaten the balance, whereas an invasive species can be very damaging. As I posted above, New York State considers the Snakehead "injurious wildlife." As a fisherman interested in conserving our resources, I take that designation seriously.