FishRatz

Vintage Tackle planning to use!

24 posts in this topic

Last Fall I began a collection of freshwater vintage fishing gear, not for "collecting", but intending to use it!!

Rods, reels, plugs, spoons and spinners, with classic Umco tackle boxes to boot.

I had a great Fall with a few items, made me want to seek out more.

UL rods are indeed top notch, Fenwick , St Croix and Garcia Conolon, matched with Mitchell reels.

Some of these lures may be valuable, where others may not even be "vintage".

No matter to me, I just want to fish in a time warp!

I won most items on EBay, at surprisingly great prices, but a few rods and reels hit my wallet.

Favorite rods are 1957_58, first issue SilaFlex, with action as good as several modern rods I own, Garcia Conolon , custom Golden Gate, Heddon Pal M4, & Fenwick FS50.

Favorite reels are Mitchell 308, rare 908, 300,  a few Dams and a cool Ted Williams baitcast. 

Favorite lures are ABU Toby spoons, Ozark woodchoppers, Heddon Crazy Crawlers, Eiger Dillingers, Pumpkin seeds, Dalton Specials, South Bend Orenos and Barracuda shiners.

I'm ready to roll, just need to work on my vintage attire!

:-)

KIMG0305.jpg

KIMG0300.jpg

KIMG0303.jpg

KIMG0297.jpg

KIMG0293.jpg

KIMG0291.jpg

KIMG0296.jpg

nice collection-that tackle was made to last-especially with regular servicing--caught back in the day and still catching today-keep up the good catching--rreelman

Nearly every piece of gear had been serviced over the winter, keeping me busy. I like how easy it is to work a reel, all brass gears, easy to clean and strong as a tank.

Each lure hook rotary wire brushed clean, quality metals restore easily.

I replaced only a few hooks.

Any peeling paints recoated with hard as nails polish for lasting durability.

A few lures were found new unused for over 50 years.

I found new_old stock nylon braid for the baitcast reels.

I can appreciate how well this gear was made back in the day.

Let's see how well it still catches!

The Dalton Special is one of my “go to” bass plugs.  Personally, rather that mess up a true vintage plug, I’d rather fish a modern era Dalton Special (Luhr-Jensen), which fishes just as well. 

Holy ####, I feel old

A some point of time I've had and fished nearly all of that

Did you see the Umco box i have up in the BST ?

The old stuff is all I use. I collect MItchell reels and Garcia Conolon rods. I also use my 52 year old Johnson 3 hp motor that I inherited on an old Jon boat when I go out fishing.

DSCN4209_2.jpg

DSCN4595.jpg

DSCN4225_2.jpg

DSCN4221.jpg

DSCN3358.jpg

falls-city-tacklemaster-tackle-box-1.jpg

DSCN4249.jpg

DSCN4255.jpg

DSCN4256.jpg

DSCN4261.jpg

DSCN4698.jpg

DSCN4691.jpg

DSCN4929.jpg

Hey Rook49, that great! glad i am not alone with using the stuff.

Not afraid to have lures get a little toothed up, but need caution when using the rods to not loose stuff to a rough guide.

I have that same Garcia Conolon above, before they started with the star rating system, they are my favorites.

The Mitchell reels are the best vintage to use, from what I have been learning.

2 hours ago, FishRatz said:

The Mitchell reels are the best vintage to use, from what I have been learning.

They're easy to work on plus there's an abundance of used and new old stock parts available on e-bay. There's also a world of info and schmatics on the Mitchell Museum web site.

DSCN4106.jpg

I don't like painting the ones that are collectible but I sandblast and repaint some of the ones that's headed to the trash dump in order to save them for the future like this old 301.

DSCN4464.jpg

I put a new side plate on it and painted the rest of it.

DSCN4168.jpg

DSCN4166.jpg

I found that Rust-Oleum Universal paint in satin black matches the old Mitchell black perfectly. It comes in a can that looks different than your normal spray can. That sprayer works a whole lot better than the standard cans.

ff17ceab-9e1b-4a32-942e-4c71ad2804ff_1.a

Harbor Freight sells a small sandblaster that works great for small parts. I use the fine glass beads to do the blasting with.

DSCN4272.jpg

Edited by Rook49

Mitchell's are the best!  I have about a half dozen 303s and 403s I still fish, not to mention all the smaller reels.  

20161001_191701.jpg

Edited by Kima

42 mins ago, Kima said:

Mitchell's are the best!  I have about a half dozen 303s and 403s I still fish, not to mention all the smaller reels.  

I have several of the left hand retrieve which are the right hand models, the 302 and 402, salt water Mitchell reels that I use also. Mitchell went out of business 29 years ago and they're still around. The ones I have are over 50 years old. I'm bettin' you won't see any of the Chinese junk around 50 years from now.

DSCN4713.jpg

DSCN4758.jpg

I put oil sealed ceramic bearings in all of my 302 and 402 reels. So far they've held up very good and they're smoother than the stock bearings. 

DSCN4683.jpg

302's

DSCN4798.jpg

Edited by Rook49

At last years Goya Fling (Jersey Forum) I was catching gorilla blues on a Mitchell 496 PUM / Kennedy Fisher XO8720 combo

Maybe this year I'll bring the 498 PUM / Grizzly Fenwick SU-1388 pair

Edited by Sudsy