Ed J

Local high school athletes that made it big

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

What do you have? 

We had a few. 

Football 

Glenn Carson played a few years for the Cards now for the ants. SRHS class of 09

Clark Harris currently playing and was in this past years pro bowl. SRHS class of 02

Mike Gesicki Penn State SRHS class of 14, will he or won't he go in the first round? I got to watch him through his high school career looking like a man among boys. 

We also have soon a new inductie to the schools hall of fame, Martin Truex Jr. SRHS class of 98 of NASCAR fame. 

My kid was a freshman when Gesicki was a senior. 

IMG_1610.JPG

Mark Richardson - UK Silver Olympic Medalist  - 4 x 40mm Relay.

he prolly would have made a good WR. his whole family were local track stars - brother, sisters etc

depends on the definition of "big time"

Dante DiVincenzo is local kid that is playing a significant role for the soon to be National Champion Villanova Wildcats...

That's about as close to big time as it gets for a Delaware kid...

There have been a few from DE over the years that have made it to the pros, but not many...

Only one i personally knew was a kid named Darrell Reid...SB winner and DE with the Colts...was a freshman when i was a junior.   I remember his first freshman game...it was after school Monday at Freehold High School and while we (varsity) were practicing he was putting a hurting on the other team.  They said half of them were injured or limping on to the bus after the game.  

Carpooled with Mike Greer to hockey growing up. He played NHL, his father was the Pats GM for a long time, uncle Rosie Greer, and believe his brother Chris is now GM of Dolphins. 

Mark Sweeney was a MLB player and pinch hitter extroidinare. 

Jay Miller, one of the toughest NHL fighters ever, went to my HS before being sent on his way. 

21 mins ago, Finster said:

depends on the definition of "big time"

Dante DiVincenzo is local kid that is playing a significant role for the soon to be National Champion Villanova Wildcats...

That's about as close to big time as it gets for a Delaware kid...

There have been a few from DE over the years that have made it to the pros, but not many...

Elle Della Dona was the WNBA 2017 MVP. that's fairly close.

St. John's HS, Shrewsbury MA (my Alma mater)

Richard Rogers, TE Green Bay Packers

Ron Darling, MLB pitcher

I may be missing a couple

A host of draft picks that had a cup of coffee in various pro leagues.  My brother (St John's HS) was a 6th round draft pick by the Arizona Cardinals in '95 out of U of New Hampshire (Defensive Tackle)....he had a sip of the coffee.

Edited by FoliFish

Charlie "King Kong" Keller of the 30's & 40's Yankees

Chuck Foreman of the ill-fated Minnesota Viking teams from the 70's 

Debbie Thompson, Olympic medalists in sprint events in the 60's