MiguelEastono

Cheap(er) 3/4wt. reel for freshwater

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I'm putting together a lightweight 3/4 wt. setup for some brookie fishing in streams nearby, and I'm looking for some insight on cheap/moderately priced reels (~$150 budget) for the task. I don't need to go crazy, as it's not going to be a rod that gets used every day or used at all in the salt, but I'd like something that I can buy new and can get a spare spool for as well.

Try Shu Fly in Nanuet, NY  I tested a 4 weight rod with a  small reel on it at the FF Show in Edison. The combo price with line and backing for the reel and'rod was $59.95.  I didn't need the reel  And dickered for the rod ad got it for $50.00

Skip has very cheap reels and if you are brook trout fishing all you need for the reel is to store the line and backing.

Skip Storch's cheapest reel Shu-Fly Graphite 3/4 reel for $25.00  Mdl #  SFRL34  He will load it with a WF3 or 4F line and 20 backing for another $10.00 or $15.00 

His Max Drag Fly Reels com in 7/8 and 9/10 size only  I have one of each.

They are cast aluminum with large arbors and backing and line. The 7/8 retails at $115.00 and the 9/10 at $125.00

The Drag is super in every sense.  

Look it up.  I was casting 10 wt  near a local clamming spot and o of the clammers took one look at the reel and sapped a picture of the 9/10.  I gave him the internet address and he ran home to buy the 9/10 version.

1 hour ago, iamnobody said:

the cheapest reel you can find. 

I agree. You don't need a $150 reel for brookie fishing. Any cheap fly reel that can hold a fly line will do. The size of the fish you catch will most likely not test your drag and you probably will never have to use the drag. Spend the money on the rod. Just my 2 cents.

I'll throw my hat in the ring for the Battenkill, it's an Orvis product that I'll always vouch for. However, for me, a reel for that size of rod is more or less a line holder since it's rare that the drag system gets much use anyway. That said, I think getting a proper balance for the rod out of your reel would be most significant for me. It may turn out that that reel only costs forty bucks or a hundred. I'd say take the rod to a shop if you can and test it out with a few reels and see which one feels best to you. 

LL Bean Pocket Water, Okuma Sierra are an other option. I just picked up the Okuma Sierra for like $20 @ STP...it’s a nice looking and sounding reel.

Even at full price it’s a good deal.

Edited by Mike West