Reel Deely

Am I crazy for not wanting to go on a cruise ?

Rate this topic

183 posts in this topic

12 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

IMO cruises suck.  I did a 10 day Mediterranean trip for my honeymoon.  You're basically doing the same thing day in and day out and sleeping and showering in a shoe box.  I guess if you're a social person and go with a group of good close friends that you enjoy being around then it could be fun.  It is a good atmosphere and nice to be catered to.  Best advice i can give you is to make sure you get the best drink plan there is and just drink all damn day and night long.

Matter of fact i just had a buddy at work that fought with his wife for days for the same exact reason...and like the OP he caved and got his sack chopped off.

you know, they do let you get off the ship at different ports

4 mins ago, eddy said:

you know, they do let you get off the ship at different ports

Yeah...for $200 you get to ride on a bus to some tourist trap.  There's a ton of cool stuff to see in the middle of the USA that blows away any gimicky cruise liner tourist trap...too bad nobody is interested in a good old fashioned vaca. 

I didn't write this, but it pretty much sums up my thoughts...

"Cruise ships are the ultimate in in human decadence. If you´ve allowed your life to get so stressful and constraining, that sailing in a floating, disease breeding, environmental disaster that cruise ships are is appealing to you, then you need to reexamine your life."

4 hours ago, fshface said:

Cruising is Great, all inclusives suck, unless you like drinking Elpresidente beer all week. And feel like you cant leave the property without fearing for your life.

There is no such thing as being cooped up on a 800ft ship. For anyone that's never been on a cruise will never know what its all about. Some people go for the intinerary and some (Like me) go for the ship.

I guess it depends on the all inclusive you go too.

I enjoyed hanging out fishing with the locals in the Bahamas the times we went. I walked about 2 or 3 miles down the beach to an inlet and fished off a jetty and it was a blast. I was thirsty as heck by the time I got back to the resort (not a good idea to go to the bar when your are dying of thirst, but Bahama Mamas and Sands taste so good when your thirsty).

The family time is priceless. The cruise itself it completely dependent on which line you’re sailing. Carnival sucks!!! Holland America is great. Norwegian is tolerable. Shoot me in the head before sailing Disney

12 mins ago, Sandflee said:

are you permitted to troll off the stern? if not no cruise for me

Can't believe this hadn't come up yet.

You're surrounded by water and CAN'T FISH.

That's worse than a bad vacation.  That's worse than a trip to the mall with the wife.  That's HELL.

Imagine you wake up with your cup of coffee and the clear blue sea and there's a massive blitz going off not thirty yards from your deck and there's not a gosh darn thing you can do about it!

2 mins ago, JET said:

Imagine you wake up with your cup of coffee and the clear blue sea and there's a massive blitz going off not thirty yards from your deck and there's not a gosh darn thing you can do about it!

That's exactly what happened to me while we were docked at some hell hole in Turkey.  Walked out to the deck with a cup of coffee...WTF. 

Edited by Fly By Nite

8 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

Yeah...for $200 you get to ride on a bus to some tourist trap.  There's a ton of cool stuff to see in the middle of the USA that blows away any gimicky cruise liner tourist trap...too bad nobody is interested in a good old fashioned vaca. 

you walk

or you get in a cab.

ports are in populated areas most of the time.

"normal" people live there.  you plan ahead and look where the tour buses aren't going and you know where to go

unless you're just a miserable SOB looking for things to complain about

3 mins ago, eddy said:

you walk

or you get in a cab.

ports are in populated areas most of the time.

"normal" people live there. 

I'm certainly not a cruise regular having only been on that one, but in my trip that wasn't the case at all.  We did catch a cab and headed into Athens which was cool.  I'm really not all that interested in playing tourist over seas.