Am I crazy for not wanting to go on a cruise ?

Rate this topic

Reel Deely

I leave Tues for 11 days to the Caribbean. This is my 5th or 6th cruise. If you don't like eating and boozing; I could see the downfalls. We always do a winter or early spring. The temps are perfect and the weather usually is the same.

Fortunately I have never hit any of the horror story cruises and its been smooth sailing. My girlfriend loves them and what makes her happy; well you know the rest. We do not have children and neither one of us are loaded with money like some of you guys probably are :laugh:

For us its really the best bang for our buck to see some different parts of the world without having to stay overnight in what could be a hell hole. I will never be stepping foot into San Juan; Puerto Rico again. :eek:

The Best Day to go fishing is any day that ends in Y

Baltimore is the worst port to sail from.

There is a reason it is cheap.

Too cold for outdoor activities this time of year, so you are stuck below decks all day.

The best cruises have the least boat time. What is it, 3 days at sea down, a stop on a private island for a couple of hours, and 3 days at sea on the way back?

Fly down to Miami, and island hop from there...much mo betta.

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard

9 mins ago, splions said:

Go on it...make your wife happy...enjoy the kids. Try to upgrade to one with a veranda.   Don't be an a-hole and ruin the trip.  Drink heavily.  Just never go on one again...problem solved!

They are fun...I went on one ONCE...but I would never go on one again.  :howdy:

I would never ruin a trip for them, I gave in because I know this is a big deal for them. I don't know what this veranda thing is that you are speaking of but will look into it. Heavily drinking is not an option, more of an obligation. I will also be armed with my iPod and a travel rod for the beaches. Thanks for the reply 

22 mins ago, Jdeadman66 said:

Eebs can tell ya, he rented a house from a couple that went on a cruise. The husband killed the wife on the ship. 

Yup: https://www.sltrib.com/news/courts/2017/07/30/southern-utah-man-accused-of-slaying-wife-on-cruise-was-celebrating-anniversary/

And did my wife learn anything from that?  No, because 4 months later we went on a cruise.  

I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.

Have had several opportunities, but opted not to go. Some friends and relatives love them, but it is not attractive to me. The food sounds excellent. Maybe if they just tied the boat to the dock, saved the fuel and filled me with chow and booze and let me fish over the rail, I might like it.

I have been on 15-20 Caribbean cruises, always in the winter months, and think they are great.  They are a great value and you can be as active or sedentary as you like. There are differences in the cruise lines, some cater to the party crowd and some are geared more to older adults, take your pick. I was hesitant to go on my first cruise, back in '90-'91, but was pleasantly surprised. Didn't go this past winter, but have already booked on for next January. Good Luck. 

1 hour ago, Jdeadman66 said:

Remember a few years back all those cruise ships with the stomach flu? Horror stories were coming out. Bathrooms overflowing, poop and vomit everywhere. My god I can’t think of a worse place to have a stomach bug run loose.

Red's place ?

Carnival is known as Wal Mart of the Seas for a good reason. 

cruises are for people who are too fat or near dead to walk anywhere. 

Disclaimer: the above may not represent the actual views of the writer, but may have been expressed sarcastically/ ironically with the sole intention of providing humour. That notwithstanding, the writer retains the right to be emotionally, psychologically or alcohol/substance impaired at the time of writing

(*member formerly known as 'guernseybass')

Just back from a 11 day Caribbean Cruise out of NYC. Its our 15th cruise, my wife and I travel withe her sis and BIL, we have a great time and like each one as much as the one before. Of course we like to drink and sit by a pool and eat whenever and wherever we wish for a fair cost. Spent 11 days on a beautiful vessel, spoon fed by a staff that do all they can to make your vacation a vacation, over 3500 miles traveled with 6 stops in the caribbean and even the lame entertainment seemed almost inviting. Really, its a relaxing way to vacation and all of the formal practices of yore are gone. Theres some downsides like pool crowds but for the most part, we will continue to go. Age 59 BTW, didn't go on the first one until were 50, we don't book trips that are around spring breaks or summer vacations.

As for the stories about sickness, I'm sure they are true, stay away from flu season for starters. 

Go and have a good time as you should and will, your kids will love it and your wife doesn;t have to do a thing all week. Great value.

"Thats as big as a fish that size gets" - Russ Wilson
RIP JM

Cruises are the worst! God forbid if everything doesnt go exactly as planned it could be a disaster. Just saw something recently about massive fights breaking out between guests and cruise security. Looked like something out of green street hooligans. Needless to say I wouldnt want to count on those jabronis to protect me and my family so plan accordingly.