Am I crazy for not wanting to go on a cruise ?

Rate this topic

Reel Deely

11 hours ago, makorider said:

I have zero interest in being trapped on boat next to a bunch of drunkass fatbody loudmouths.

What I can tell you, after being pretty much all over the Carribean and Bahamas, is that it doesn't matter where you cruise to.

You get off in Chachkytown, they all look exactly the same and nothing like the rest of the island.  That's the part of the island to be avoided like the plague when you go on a real vacation.

I would agree. I haven’t been to the Carribean, however I agree with your travel philosophy. It’s really about lifestyle choice. To some people the idea of going on a cruise is having to not think. You have no control over the vessel, the itinerary, etc. others do the work and you just hang on the boat or go where you’re told. I get it. To some that’s awesome. To me, I’d prefer less people, more control over where when and how, the ability to be spontaneous and freely explore. I want the sense of independence and wonder of exploring. 

29 mins ago, Jdeadman66 said:

I would agree. I haven’t been to the Carribean, however I agree with your travel philosophy. It’s really about lifestyle choice. To some people the idea of going on a cruise is having to not think. You have no control over the vessel, the itinerary, etc. others do the work and you just hang on the boat or go where you’re told. I get it. To some that’s awesome. To me, I’d prefer less people, more control over where when and how, the ability to be spontaneous and freely explore. I want the sense of independence and wonder of exploring. 

Exactly - and it's why I found it to be a put off during the one time I did a cruise back in the 90's when (as I mentioned earlier), we opted for a top deck open taco bar instead of sitting in the dining room and subsequently had a 'search party' come after us for not sitting in the dining room...

4 mins ago, albacized said:

Exactly - and it's why I found it to be a put off during the one time I did a cruise back in the 90's when (as I mentioned earlier), we opted for a top deck open taco bar instead of sitting in the dining room and subsequently had a 'search party' come after us for not sitting in the dining room...

Holy crap that sucks, but is hilarious. I also imagine the worst when I think of the stomach bugs that were going around cruise ships. That and people falling over.

1 hour ago, Jdeadman66 said:

I like to explore.  Rent a car, grab a bottle of rum (or 2) and find my own beach.  My own empty beach. Doable to some extent or another on just about every island I've gone to.  And I havn't got us killed yet.

One of my families favorites that I found in the Turks.  Turned out to be a good flatwater kite spot when the wind came up too!

IMG_2329.jpg

1 min ago, makorider said:

I like to explore.  Rent a car, grab a bottle of rum (or 2) and find my own beach.  My own empty beach. Doable to some extent or another on just about every island I've gone to.  And I havn't got us killed yet.

One of my families favorites that I found in the Turks.  Turned out to be a good flatwater kite spot when the wind came up too!

IMG_2329.jpg

That’s a beautiful pic. To me, finding a spot like that is priceless. That’s part of the reward of exploration. There are places like that in every geography. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Reel Deely said:

I just realized the boat is the Carnival”Pride”, oh my

Someone's getting ****ed in the ass. A cruise he'll never forget!! 

You know it must be a penguin bound down if you hear that terrible screaming and there ain't no other birds around.