Who sharpens their hooks?

Rate this topic

chitala383

6 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Sandbar1, how do you sharpen your circle hooks for shark?

Hey Brian I think another guy might be better suited to answer your question. Maybe @Wampire, guy seems to know what he's doing when it comes to sharks.

I think a diamond file might get the job done.

As for me I'm going to give beach sharking a serious shot this year but I'm still a new guy when it comes to this kind of fishing.

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

On 3/26/2018 at 7:40 PM, Sandbar1 said:

Hey Brian I think another guy might be better suited to answer your question. Maybe @Wampire, guy seems to know what he's doing when it comes to sharks.

I think a diamond file might get the job done.

As for me I'm going to give beach sharking a serious shot this year but I'm still a new guy when it comes to this kind of fishing.

I use a standard steel hook file that has 2 slanted sides on each side. I draw the point forwards, not away. I was shown this by smallie tackle experts for sharpening jigs. I use 4 angles , the hook on its side both directions and about 45 degrees both directions. My last drags get lighter and more finessed. If the hook can't hang on my nail at about 70 degrees I keep working on it till it does. 

IMG_4486.JPG

Edited by Wampire

• 2 weeks later...

I have an original leathermans tool i carry on my belt and it has a file with two sides one is flat and the other has a v cut into it for sharpening hooks. It was made in Portland Oregon. It also has a pair of needle nose pliers with wire cutters, bottle and can opener, a couple flat and a phillips screw drivers and a pair of sissors. I would be lost without it.

017.JPG

018.JPG

Some hooks I sharpen right out of the box, some I don't touch. It's actually a specific FW use where it matters most to me...landlocks in Cayuga Lake. Their jaws are hard, and the hits are strong. Unsharpened streamer hooks sometimes scrape and not penetrate. I file them into a sharp, triangular point. Take the barb down too. The hookup ratio is much better that way.

12 mins ago, patchyfog said:

Some hooks I sharpen right out of the box, some I don't touch. It's actually a specific FW use where it matters most to me...landlocks in Cayuga Lake. Their jaws are hard, and the hits are strong. Unsharpened streamer hooks sometimes scrape and not penetrate. I file them into a sharp, triangular point. Take the barb down too. The hookup ratio is much better that way.

You made a good point!!!!

Only hooks that i don't sharpen are owners.  They are already scary sharp.  Everything else gets touched up every single time i fish them, especially large jig hooks.  I don't always sharpen my trebles on plugs  but give them a good touch up every now and then.  But a large single hook mustad jig hook gets sharpened every day its gets used.

4" Dr. Slick hook file. Carry in my shirt pocket.  2 different grits with hook grooves on each side. A few passes in the groove makes them sticky sharp again. I check and resharpen often, especially when fishing sand, shell or rocky bottoms. Mostly when fly fishing, but I also touch up my bucktails and jig heads after a few fish on the spinning rod. Heres a pic. $10, worth every penny. Have had the same one for years.

hook_file_4.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/8/2018 at 3:09 PM, wolfer said:

I have an original leathermans tool i carry on my belt and it has a file with two sides one is flat and the other has a v cut into it for sharpening hooks. It was made in Portland Oregon. It also has a pair of needle nose pliers with wire cutters, bottle and can opener, a couple flat and a phillips screw drivers and a pair of sissors. I would be lost without it.

017.JPG

018.JPG

Sorry, I know this thread is over a month old at this point, but do you carry your leatherman fishing? I love my leatherman but I try my best to keep it as far away from any salty environment as possible.

While I'm here, I do sharpen my hooks whenever they seem a bit dull, especially bucktails and the like. You really don't need a fancy file, a $1 generic stone from any bait and tackle shop will work like a dream. I believe Dave Anderson, in a certain publication, said that he just used some sandpaper even. It's a minutes work that might help you connect with countless fish. Worth it in my opinion.

LIBBA #2599

MSA #2599

Gateway Striper Club

About 30 years ago at a yard sale I bought two 8" metal files for 25 cents each.  One always stays home. One side is fine and the other side is very fine.

5aef5b1652686_SHARPENHOOKS.JPG.ef4c06245023df8e6127f6c766b2acdf.JPG

I always buy hooks in bulk, usually several hundred at a time. When I open them the first thing I do is sharpen every one of them.  All hooks used for bait and all bucktails get sharpened.  As a couple of others said, I also sharpen triangular with most hooks.  The exception is small hooks like #6 long shank used for Kingfish. Those just get a few strokes toward the point.  I don't even start tying rigs until the whole box of hooks are sharpened.

The second file I bought I put in a vice and broke it in half. Now I keep 1/2 of the file in each of two tackle boxes. A four inch piece is plenty long enough and is small enough that it never gets in the way. If I'm not taking a tackle box with me on a certain day I always take a piece of the file with me.  While fishing if I ever get snagged and get loose the first thing I do is check the hooks. If needed they are touched up. When using bucktails I check the points of the hooks every couple of casts if I am around rocks, which is most of the time.  It only takes a few seconds to keep the hook sharp. Why would you not do it? If you're not fishing yet you will be soon.  GOOD LUCK!

If you're talking to me, do it in ENGLISH.

Maybe, just maybe, Mumia will die today.

Jeffrey Epstein did not kill himself.

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 6:42 PM, turkaholic said:

I am amazed at the amount of non sharpeners here. You are educating our fish. Every time some cow side swipes your rock beaten dull hooks they get away. Never to bite again. Just kidding. I use two chain saw files taped together,it works sweet! It hugs the hook and makes the hook point so nothing gets away without feeling it. Like when  bass are finicky and rolling ,you need every advantage you can get. I thought everyone did this.

I've used two chain saw files taped together to sharpen hooks for about 15 years. It works great and gets your hooks sharpened quickly. 

About 55 years ago someone gave me a tip that he said would double the number of stripers I was catching. That tip was "sharpen your hooks". The person who gave me the tip was Stan Gibbs.