Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gill

Reel lube

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

What's your preference? I use penn reel lube on my penn's, and the stuff in the accordian tubes on everything else-but it breaks down easily. Now I'm gonna try white vasaline

I use Superlube. I read someplace it's synthetic and doesn't break down as easily. I spray my reels after each trip and when I'm brave enought to take them apart myself i use the superlube grease.

For packing my Penn spinning reels, I've always used The Surfcaster grease. Great stuff. I was running low and saw Superlube at a good price so I figured I would try it. So far I really like it. Very smooth feel when cranking the reel. Also cheaper than Surfcaster grease. icon14.gif

Alex

For what it's worth...

I sat in on a Ron Arra seminar last winter. He said he uses 3-in-1 oil, the 20wt (blue can) or 10wt (red) for hot environments.

It's worth noting he used to do things to his reels for performance. Maybe there's something about it in his book. I seem to recall reading he used to heat the bearings with a blow dryer before a competition.

Another vote for Superlube! icon14.gif

Well, I've just completed some research and it looks like superlube synthetic grease offers better performance/protection, just ordered some...... Thanks smile.gificon14.gif