Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mohota

New Tica or stellar lite FT spinning rod

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Tica UGSA80M2S Dolphin Surf Spin Fish Rod, 8-Feet , 2-Piece, ,1/2 to 2 oz, 6-17 lb
 Tica UGSA-90M2S Dolphin Surf Spin Rod, 9-Feet, 2-Piece, 1/2 to 3 oz,  10-25 lb
 Stellar Lite Fast Taper SG1220FT80  Spinning 12-20 lb, 1/2 - 1 1/2 oz, 8'  1 pc. Med-Heavy
Stellar Lite Fast Taper SG1525FT80 Spinning  15-25 lb,  5/8 - 2 oz,  8' ,  1 pc.Heavy

Looking for a spinning rod for my BG 4000 to fish the san fransico bay for stripers and grubing for perch and schoolie
stripers in the surf.  I throw mostly 1/2 oz size hair raisers , swimbaits and kastmasters in the bay but also throw
SP minnows.  In the surf it will be 1/2 to 1oz lead on carolina rig for perch and 1/2 to 2 oz hair raiser, swimbaits and
metal for stripers. 

I have not found the rods above locally to see how they feel and would like to know how close to lure ratings
are these rods. For the bay most of what I throw will be 1/2 to 3/4 oz and in the surf 3/4 to 1 1/2 oz.
Does any of the rods above stand out over the others?  I do like that the Ticas are 2 pc but the stellars may
be higher quality rod.  The "concept system" on the stellar fast tapers concerns me in a store bought rod
as it can't be matched to my BG 4000.
Thanks for any and all input.

Craig

I have the Star rod rated for 1/2 - 1 1/2 paired with a stradic 4000 and 20 lb braid. It is a great set up. I have landed a lot of big snook, a small shark and a 3 Ft wide ray and it has been great. It was my second Star rod (I now have 3). A lot of bang for the buck. They are very popular here on the west coast of Florida. The rod is lightweight. It is a little stiff for throwing 1/4” ounce Jigs with paddle tails, works ok for the small 5/8 ounce lures, works well for 3/4 and 1 ounce bucktails, is a nice match for an SP Minnow and not so good above that. They have a great warranty. The way I understand it, you can take it to the shop you bought it at and they can take care of you. If I lost that rod, I would definitely buy another just like it.

That BG 4000 is a pretty big reel for that rod in my opinion, unless you need the line capacity (The Stadic 4000 I have mine paired with is a good full size smaller), so I am not sure that rod will balance well with the reel. I might fasten that reel to any of these rods and see how that feels in you hand.

I might fasten that reel to any of these rods and see how that feels in you hand.

I wish I could but can't find rods stocked in my local tackle shops.  Your comment about my reel size is helpful as it may cause a loss of distance

due to placement and size of gather guide.  The Stradic is out of price range but the BG 3000 is in the size range of your 4000 and half the price.

That would be an option I can live with.

I have both the Tica Dolphin 9' 1/2-3 and the Daiwa BG 4000 reel.  The reel at 14 ounces is not to heavy for that rod and balances well.  Tica rods in my opinion are in "the Best Buy" catagory.  The sweet spot for that rod is about 1 1/2 oz, would not go over 2oz.  It is a plugging rod not a bait rod. Range 1/2-2.  Really slings metal.  For what you describe I think it would be a good choice.  Know nothing about the other rods. 

2 hours ago, mohota said:

The Stradic is out of price range but the BG 3000 is in the size range of your 4000 and half the price.

That would be an option I can live with.

I have a BG 4000 on a Rainshadow 1087, 9’, 3/4-4 oz rod and like that combo. After my experience with the BG, I would definitely buy that over the Stradic in the future. A BG 3000 would be a good fit for that Star rod for what I do. YMMV.

The bg 4000 is the first spinning reel I have in 25 years.  I have been a conventional/baitcaster man since I picked up my first

Ambassadeur 5500.  Throwing lighter lures and topwaters in the wind can be challenging with baitcaster and thought I would like to add a light tackle

spinner setup to my arsenal.   My conventional rods and reels can handle most lures from 1/2 oz thru 6 oz

It is a plugging rod not a bait rod. Range 1/2-2

This sounds like a good fit for me.  Does the rod load enough to throw 1/2 oz hair raiser and swim baits with some distance?

A BG 3000 would be a good fit for that Star rod for what I do

Thanks. Good to know.  

Can't speak to the newer Star but the original Star Stellar Lite 1-3 oz was one of my favorites of all time. Unfortunately I broke it. 

I have the 8' Star Stellar Lite 1/2-3 right now, but have had the 1/2 to 1 1/2 and it's a great little rod, with surprising backbone. Highly recommend it!

Can't say on a 1/2 ounce but a 1 ounce would sail, maybe a 3/4 as well.

8 hours ago, mohota said:

The bg 4000 is the first spinning reel I have in 25 years.  I have been a conventional/baitcaster man since I picked up my first

Ambassadeur 5500.  Throwing lighter lures and topwaters in the wind can be challenging with baitcaster and thought I would like to add a light tackle

spinner setup to my arsenal.   My conventional rods and reels can handle most lures from 1/2 oz thru 6 oz

This sounds like a good fit for me.  oesD the rod load enough to throw 1/2 oz hair raiser and swim baits with some distance?

Thanks. Good to know.  

Posted (edited)

Thanks mackerel,  The low end is more important to me for this rod so the 8ft tica rated 1/2 to 2 oz may be a better fit for bay stripers and surf perch. I would have to give up the heavier lures that I normally use for in close surf stripers in rougher conditions and when stripers require a longer cast. The ticas being 2pc would make it easy to sling a second rod over shoulder that can handle the heavier weight when the summer stripers are around.

The Stellar Lite FT 1/2 to 1 1/2 oz  with BG 3000 (bay stripers) and the 9ft tica with my BG 4000 (surf perch and light ocean striper) would be nice combos and I would like to get both over time.

Edited by mohota