Pressing out u joints

Rate this topic

Dave588

I took lock rings out first. Then i unbolted saddles on axle yoke. The axle side is not budging. The tail shaft side i have pressed u joints mostly out. 

I was just using a socket to tap on axle side. I want to drop driveshaft but that seems to be toughest part.

You need to heat the joint up and burn the glue out of it, wear glasses and gloves **** hurts to get on you. The $35 dollar oxy/gas torch from home Depot works good if doing it under vehicle, easier to pull the drive shaft and hit it with a ball joint press. What brand replacement joint did you get?

7 hours ago, Grayson said:

You need to heat the joint up and burn the glue out of it, wear glasses and gloves **** hurts to get on you. The $35 dollar oxy/gas torch from home Depot works good if doing it under vehicle, easier to pull the drive shaft and hit it with a ball joint press. What brand replacement joint did you get?

^^^This,a lot of rear driveGM products from early 90s on use plastic in joint/cap assembly along with retainer clips and must be heated up to melt/extrude plastic from cap assembly. Regular propane torch gets hot enough to melt it. You can break plastic by pressing them out but at risk of distorting ears in yokes.

P.S.,hope this is not your plow truck...