Epoxy coat fix (eyes)

Rate this topic

Antagonizer

Just finishing up some plugs (second coat of epoxy - e-Tex) and noticed around one of the eyes there was a small bubble.  Removed the bubble and there is now a small crater.   If I leave it alone, I’m sure water will get under it and ruin the plug.  I’m wondering the correct fix for this.   Has this happened to anyone and how did you fix it? I was thinking a small drop of super glue but that will dry white and look like hell.  Now I’m thinking of mixing another small patch of e-Tex and laying the plug sideways and applying a small drop to cover.  Thoughts?  Thanks 

Personally, I'd just set the plug aside until sealing or top coating another batch with e-Tex again. At that point in time, I'd drip a drop (or two) in with a toothpick. Really...you could go ahead and put hooks and rings on now.

I'm hesitant of mixing 1:1 epoxy* in very small batches....both because it's wasteful (of time n material) and hard to get ratio correct

except for that 5-minute stuff.....I'm not even careful with my measurements, and it always hardens

Edited by Livefreeordie

I would use a faster curing epoxy like the Devcon 30 minute and just put a small drop in with a toothpick and lay it on it's side.   When I put the eyes in I always epoxy them in with Devcon to fill any air spaces, this seems to eliminate the bubble problem.  

22 hours ago, Livefreeordie said:

Personally, I'd just set the plug aside until sealing or top coating another batch with e-Tex again. At that point in time, I'd drip a drop (or two) in with a toothpick. Really...you could go ahead and put hooks and rings on now.

I'm hesitant of mixing 1:1 epoxy* in very small batches....both because it's wasteful (of time n material) and hard to get ratio correct

except for that 5-minute stuff.....I'm not even careful with my measurements, and it always hardens

^^^^^^^

What he said.........and yes, eye farts suck.

"Can You Hear Me, Doctor?"

Another vote for toothpick/lay plug on its side.  The issue occurs for me when a small air bubble gets trapped behind the eye and has to get out as the epoxy flows in.  I always do a check about an hour after they go on the spinner and if this is occurring, pop the bubble with a toothpick.  Generally this will still allow the epoxy to lay down nicely, obviously depending on your particular flavor's cure time.  If you use a quick cure one, like the devcon 30, and are using something more like etex for your main coat, the spot you fixed will yellow faster than the rest.  I typically just throw eye blems in my own bag.

Originally Posted by south shoreman : dreamsofhatteras - you're seriously twisted...