Marty

The Correct motor height

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

What you need to know about, height your OB should be. There are 4 or 5 holes that your motor can be mounted at different heights.  I remain stunned how many boaters don't realize that for best OB performance, it should be mounted as high as practical and that given that ... one needs to trim her in before undertaking an aggressive turn. I have a 2320 -250 Suzuki- parker deep V. My motor was mounted at the lowest position - gas was 1.8 The bow would be so high that I couldn’t see over the bow and had to use trim tabs all the time. To stay on plane, I had to be at 3800 RPM. WOT - speed was 38 MPH. Over the past 3 years I started to raise the motor one hole at a time. Taken down numbers to see what works best. Let’s jump to last year as the motor is at the highest hole setting. My numbers now - gas 3.2 MPG  WOT - 44 MPH. Staying on plane 2800 RPM  All these test was done with 3/4 tank of gas 90 gallons- two people on board. Small bay chop. If you want to see how your motor is riding, go with two people, run at WOT or close to. Having you motor trimmed down position. Have someone look at the outdrive and water line should be at the lowest fin.  See picture. 

CC876DB6-74D1-485B-9FCD-2846AB01ADDC.png

I would add "at the highest" to the very end of that; certain props and setups will let you run higher.

So, before the other thread got locked up...I wanted to ask what kind of plane are you/did you fly? 

Edited by makorider

31 mins ago, makorider said:

I would add "at the highest" to the very end of that; certain props and setups will let you run higher.

So, before the other thread got locked up...I wanted to ask what kind of plane are you/did you fly? 

I’m on http://classicjets.org/privacy.php. You can read there. I cant give you my name due to privacy. We had to sign. Look under classic jets. Guys there and I talk about. 

20 mins ago, Billybob said:

I'll take a pic of the cav plate on the new Etec tomorrow at WOT. 

Why must it be at WOT?

BTW, with that horse on the pins, put your drysuit on if you think you're leaning over the transom of that rig with a camera!!

21 mins ago, Billybob said:

It doesn't, just has to be up on plane.

Maybe I should use Drew's phone. 

I'm curious to see what kind of job these guys did on the rigging. 

You talked about this before. I’m sure they did some research. But as you said - white water and a few others don’t care or just mount low due to safety. There are other ways to check when boat is out of water. Bring a 6 ft 2x4 and put it under the center of hull at rear - with a level and the lower motor fin should be inline. It gets tricky with boats with Armstrong brackets. Do you go with bottom of hull or bottom of Armstrong bracket. When the marina install it, they had it lower for the hull as I’m looking at this picture. They went with boat hull not the Armstrong. I just saw this myself. Funny you learn something every day. 

74225FD2-9DD2-455E-B28C-98CDA6242EA9.jpeg

Edited by Marty

You have what's called setback, it's not the bracket height, it's the distance from the transom and the subsequent rise of the water level.

I know how to mount a motor, I just want to see how they did - not just the height, but the prop, the cabling, the hyd steering.

I have an engine hoist, but I've also raised them with a block of wood under the skeg, then raise the trailer tongue with the tongue jack and a couple guys to steady it. 

37 mins ago, Billybob said:

I have an engine hoist, but I've also raised them with a block of wood under the skeg, then raise the trailer tongue with the tongue jack and a couple guys to steady it. 

I've heard of the tongue jack method. I'll prolly go with that, or a floor jack under the tongue.

1 hour ago, Billybob said:

It doesn't, just has to be up on plane.

Maybe I should use Drew's phone. 

I'm curious to see what kind of job these guys did on the rigging. 

It was a rhetorical question

1 hour ago, patchyfog said:

Marty, or anybody...

Do you move it yourself? And by what method?

You can move it but I made a deal with the boat yard. I fix there transmission on there boat lift. It was filled with water and frozen. They moved my motor 3 times - no charge. Most places charge $75 -$100 but tell them for $100 would you move it up again? It took 45 min to do. 

A94D2C24-9042-41DF-A4AC-5E8059A5C770.jpeg

1 hour ago, Billybob said:

That was smart and safe. I didn’t think of moving the trailer height. I like that better.