DoorGunner

Great day today.

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Pretty soon the time where I can take a day off will come to an end. So today my girlfriend and I took a day during her spring brake and headed to my friends place of work where they do creative glass works. Had been planning this for a few weeks and figured we would just visit and get a tour and maybe watch some of the artists. My friend is a true artist and has been working there for about 35 years and has been featured on PBS programs many times. 

He gave us the short tour then put us right on the molten glass. Made our first paper weights and it was a blast and god was that furnace hot, around 2100 degrees. When we finished we had to leave them in another oven that was like 850 degrees for a full day to temper the glass so they won't crack. We should get them next week. Here are a few pics.

Big glob of molten glass on the end of a steel rod then back in the furnace to keep it soft.

IMG_1273.thumb.JPG.9c127bc8615ceea3b2886c403cd0799a.JPG

Then roll it in three different colored crushed glass to give it a one of a kind look. I chose red, white and blue.

IMG_1286.thumb.JPG.34a95b0a77ce7cfaee364629b59c649d.JPG

Push the ball of glass into a mold with dimples so the next layer of glass forms even bubbles inside. 

IMG_1282.thumb.JPG.92f781c489bde37a119d6e363a9870cd.JPG

When finished you tap the steel rod and the narrow end of the paper weight snaps right off. He hits it with a torch to soften it then you push a steel stamp on the soft bottom that imprints a label saying, "Made by Me"

IMG_1265.thumb.JPG.7ec0d0741c4b731c68bb750f193a0480.JPG

Not easy working with molten glass because you have to constantly turn the steel rod or the glass will sag.

IMG_1308.thumb.JPG.592edd149d29182e6a46184d1c2bdf41.JPG 

Finally both pieces go into the tempering oven to sit for 24 hours.

IMG_1267.thumb.JPG.fc8d5eb1a23b4d82ac57304efa7df19c.JPG

We were there for three hours and it was a blast. Want to thank my friend Don who made the day special and we were in total awe of some of his work. A true artist. 

Image result for don friel glass

Image result for don friel glass

Posted (edited) · Report post

Very cool. Love watching glass worked like that. 

As a kid, we’d vacation in Sildwood NJ every year. There was a guy there who would do blow glass into all manner of objects but small stuff. Ships, ballerinas, etc. I always marveled how quickly one has to work with glass. 

Looks like a great expeience. Please post photos when you pick up finished work. 

Edited by tomkaz

My uncle used to do the paperweight shaping and polishing for Paul Stankard and Jimmy Donafrio.  Paul focused on flowers and created paperweights with tiny people int the roots of the plants.  Amazing stuff. Some of it is featured in the Smithsonian. My uncle retired from doing it because of arthritis and nerve damage in his hands from the process.  He has a little setup in his basement and makes glass beads and jewelry.  Very talented guy with a thirst for knowledge.

https://americanart.si.edu/artist/paul-stankard-6162

Nice .......I was gonna ask you if this was Wheaton village and then saw it was written there on the cabinet. The wife and I were there a few years ago for a glass blowing demonstration .cool stuff.

Very cool. My wife and I watched a master glass blower make a vase for her when we went to Venice. Amazing artisans 

Another member here is also an amazing glass artisan.  Nebe.   Search Eben Horton. He does the glass orbs that are planted on Block Island for visitors to find. Commissioned him to make a couple terrariums for my master gardener sister one Christmas.  I need to go to his new studio  The Glass Station in Wakefield RI this year. Awesome to watch a craftsman, whatever their craft may be.

8 hours ago, nightfighter said:

Another member here is also an amazing glass artisan.  Nebe.   Search Eben Horton. He does the glass orbs that are planted on Block Island for visitors to find. Commissioned him to make a couple terrariums for my master gardener sister one Christmas.  I need to go to his new studio  The Glass Station in Wakefield RI this year. Awesome to watch a craftsman, whatever their craft may be.

Wow

images-223.jpg