Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dennysnook

RIP Lefty Kreh

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Sad to see we lost a true legend of the sport today. Have only dabbled in fly fishing, but always admired his contributions as an ambassador of the sport I love, loved his writing, tv apperances and demeanor, and always looked up to him and Jose Wejebe as the type of fisherman I wanted to be growing up. Thank you for being an inspiration to myself and many others. 

Dennysnook,

Thanks for posting this. Its the first I learned of it. I am saddened by his passing. I also celebrate the man for his true contributions to sport fishing. I believe he lived to about age 92 (?) I'll look up his obituaries and read about him.

When I got into fly fishing, I used his book on fly casting to help me learn. When I got into saltwater fly fishing, his book on Saltwater Fly Fishing taught me everything I needed to know. It's still a great book for anyone who is interested in saltwater fly fishing. I liked his collaborations with Mark Sosin.

One of the cool things about Kreh (pronounced cray if you hadn't heard it pronounced), is that he was inspired to take up fly fishing by Joe Brooks. If you like fly fishing, there are a couple of Joe Brooks books that may interest you: One is "Fly Fishing" from the late 1950s and "Salt Water Fly Fishing" from 1950. I've read the 1950 book on saltwater fly fishing and Brooks had it all figured out way back then. The info he gives on fishing still holds up today. Even his tackle choices mostly hold up today, except that faster rods have become favorites for long casts with big flies. Remember that Brooks wrote this shortly after nylon replaced silk as the material for fly line, bamboo was still the material for good fly rods, and people were still arguing about whether silkworm gut was better than nylon for leaders.

Kreh carried on Brooks' legacy in great style and with great acumen, and we can all be thankful for this man's one great and influential life. May he rest in peace.

I watch Buccaneers and Bones and always enjoyed Lefty when he talked about fly fishing, they celebrated his 90th birthday on there. He will truly be missed. RIP Lefty.

On the flats one time when Lefty and another guy eased past us in their boat. My buddy said "There's Lefty Kreh, lets watch what he going to do". Lefty and his partner stopped just short of the break, about 60 or so yards off us. Lefty reached down into the bottom of the boat and came up with a rod, mounted up onto the bow and started pulling line off the reel like he was throwing it away. A couple of hauls later and he shot a cast out there that seems like it would never end. And shortly after the rod took a bend. This scene repeated itself over and over and I was more focused on his casting than his catching. Anybody could have caught that day. Just wiggle a big clouser or deceiver over the side of the boat and you'd get hit. But nobody else out there that day could lay a line out like Lefty. It was art. It was beautiful. I was mesmerized by his casting.

And he was grinning the entire time, like a little kid. Bless his heart. There's some old adage about time fishing adds time to life. Guess there might be something to it.

I’ve had the honor of speaking to him a few times over the years , not enough space or time to properly honor his contributions / accomplishments , a good , solid man , a life well lived , all the best Lefty , thanks for everything , Bill J. 

2 hours ago, oneeyewilly said:

I’ve had the honor of speaking to him a few times over the years , not enough space or time to properly honor his contributions / accomplishments , a good , solid man , a life well lived , all the best Lefty , thanks for everything , Bill J. 

I was astonished I didn't see anything in the main the night of his death so had to post something. Later I saw a few posts in the fly section. His contributions go way beyond fly fishing, and everyone who loves this sport should know that. 

Met him a couple times. Last time was 2012 at a show in Lancaster. I was walking around and I look over and my wife is standing at the casting trough with Lefty and he's giving her a little casting lesson. Wow, I walk over and he talked to use for a few minutes, nice guy.,,,,,I was reading his obit, he was a WW2 vet and was at the Battle of the Bulge. Afterwards he worked at a chemical weapons facility were he and three others were exposed to Anthrax, he was the only one to survive. He fished with Hemingway, Castro ,Ted Williams and Presidents. He lived a long and full life .RIP Lefty.

He had a big personality and the world's definitely emptier without him.  Garden and Gun did a good article on him a few years.  It's available on the internet (just google "Garden and Gun" and "Lefty Kreh" and it comes right up).